Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 10hp Johnson outboard with a good gas tank

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    billy-j
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Motor is a 1955. It does not have the wing nuts on the on the front half of motor cover. Tank is a 1956 or earlier. 1957 hand black plastic primer button.

Mumbles
      Participant

Motor is a 1955. It does not have the wing nuts on the on the front half of motor cover. Tank is a 1956 or earlier. 1957 hand black plastic primer button.

Some ’57 tanks did come with the older style aluminum primer button so I’m sure OMC was using up their old stock before switching over to the plastic button.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yep, she is a 55, one of my all time favorites for sure…. The selling/asking price might be a bit steep if the engine needs work… First, I would start with the tank, looks like someone has rehabbed it, which is fine, provided it is clean/not varnished inside. I wouldn’t trust the tank if someone has coated the inside with some sort of sealant or similar fix.
          Next, I would check compression…Will probably be around 80PSI which is normal for these engines.
          Next, I would pop out the lower gearcase drain plug for a second to see what comes out. Milky colored or raw water means trouble.
          Inquire about recent repairs/servicing.
          Look the entire engine over carefully for signs of being dropped or damage to any castings. Have a look at the rear rubber bumpers inside the back of the engine cover along with the two rubber bumpers alongside the intake manifold. The engine cover will rattle/bang around if the bumpers are worn/missing, or if the two little pins are broken off in the engine cover.
          Finally, ask to see the engine start and run in a barrel if possible.
          The engine is worth every penny of the $350 if everything checks out and it has been serviced recently/properly.
          The engine is worth much less is if needs work…

need2fish
          Participant

If I recall correctly, early QD’s (or was it FDs or CDs – FrankR can confirm) could overheat the exhaust cover plate on the powerhead and break down the gaskets, as well as suffer perforation on the inner plate, resulting in water in the cylinders.

Make sure the impeller is on good shape.

crosbyman
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think it was QDs…. I puchased & changed one years ago one member on here makes (cuts) them in stainless steel

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JOHN HOLBIK
              Participant

The 10 is a 55 quieter and heavier and less top speed than a 54 .Most people prefer the 55 and up Qds but I have ran them for days on end and the Qd15 will always be my favorite.The no tilt in reverse and no tilt lock is wonderful. Quite a few of our outboards were broken because guys would set the tilt lock on and go into the shore at our beach too fast and snap there goes all your profit.

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.