Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Feathercraft Skipper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    andy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello fellas, A friend alerted me today about a ’54 Feathercraft for sale locally. It a 13′ Skipper I one I’m planning on looking at has a steering wheel and controls. I want to run my ’54 Fastwin on it but the boat is rated for 12hp max. Is that a no go? Has anyone here run a 15 or 18 on one of these? Speed? The ad says 4 adults capacity. How does it run with 2, 3 or 4 adults?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!,
      Andy

'48 Zephyr, restored '06, runs great
      '54 Fastwin, restored '09, runs great
      '57 Fastwin, unrestored, locked up in 2018

outboardshed
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That Merc in the ad pic is at least 16 hp. (rated).

Sean

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member

Might be a Mark 15, it’s rated at 10hp, a 1953 motor on a 1954 ad seems possible? Can you put a bigger motor on? Of course. Should you? You and your insurance company will have to decide…..

melugin
          Participant

US Member

Some of the smaller FeatherCraft boats will exhibit hull flexing at planing speed. Examine the stringers for cracks across them. This has been a structural problem until design changes in the later fifties.

rapier
            Participant

There used to be a table / chart from the Outboard Industry Association to calculate safe horsepower, i.e length in ft x transom width in ft and read off on a scale gave you an (approximate) max hp. As westwind says anything higher than rated might negate your insurance policy, even if lighter than the original motors of the time. As an aside, I did run a ’65 Merc 200 on a 12ft Starcraft Sea Scamp (12ftx52in beam 44in transom, factory rated at 1-12hp) and it was very scary..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.