Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Mighty Mite Throttle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NeptuneMadness
    Participant

So I have a question that may seem odd.. I have a 1954 Mighty Mite, and I was wondering.. Is the Throttle handle positioned forward, Low or Full speed?

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do you mean to start it? I’m not sure what the manual would say but I would do it at full speed. I mean, it’s not like it’s going to throw you out of the boat when it starts, right?

Long live American manufacturing!

NeptuneMadness
        Participant

I mean in general, what position is Low speed, and which is High speed. If the lever is all the way forward, pointing at me, is that Low or High speed? Thank you.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pointed right at you is medium speed. Pointing to your right, facing it (to the port side of the boat) is high speed and to your left facing it (stbd side) is basically stop. Of course, low is between medium and stop.

NeptuneMadness
            Participant

That makes sense, Low speed is between Medium and High haha. Thank you

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wasn’t trying to be a wise guy. Really. It was important to realize that to the far left is OFF/STOP. I didn’t want you to expect it to run in that position, that’s all.

NeptuneMadness
                Participant

I didn’t think you were, sorry if you took my reply that way. I just thought it was funny, having low speed between Med and High, Not a Low, Med, High setting.

I’m glad you did point that that out, I have no way of knowing what the throttle positioning is, or documentation on position settings. that’s why I’m asking, Any and all info is appreciated.

NeptuneMadness
                  Participant

Would a 1941 Muncie have a similar set up, High, Low and Medium?

billw
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s the way it is with all outboards that have the throttle on the front and that have the flywheel turn clockwise, when looking down on it….which is 99.99999% of all outboards. The only one I ever saw that turned counter clockwise was a Japanese WW2 era Showda. I hope I spelled that right.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by billw.
                      1 user thanked author for this post.
                      NeptuneMadness
                      Participant

Interesting. I’m just use to motors with the throttle on the tiller handle that you twist, So the throttle on the front and the speed settings for that are new. I figured, Low, Med and High

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.