1954 Montgomery Ward (Gale Sea King) Question and also a quick Johnson QD-17 one

Home Forum Ask A Member 1954 Montgomery Ward (Gale Sea King) Question and also a quick Johnson QD-17 one

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Harrison_Bergeron

Replies: 11
    Topics: 6

Sea King 5HP: I had this running last summer and changed the impeller over the winter. I took it out for a Spring test run and water was coming out from where the powerhead sits on top and connects to the driveshaft. The motor also wasn’t pushing water through the little hole where it should be. I took apart the lower unit yesterday and made sure that the water tube is connected to the impeller area and since water was coming out the top my assumption is the impeller is pushing water up the tube. The motor was running a bit hot so I am guessing it wasn’t cooling.

Any thoughts? Am I missing a gasket between the powerhead area to driveshaft and therefore it isn’t sealing? That was my only guess.

1956 Johnson QD-17: I have never tried to fire this up yet, but the prior owner said he could get it to run for about 30 sec – 1min before it would die and he had replaced the old carburetor float. I just added new rubber seals and springs to the double pronged fuel hose connector and I bought a new gasket for the gas tank and am planning making sure it makes a good seal when I pump it up to pressurize it, but was looking for advice common problems in getting these tanks to work with the motors.

I am changing out the cork, but I also wanted to know if I just just replace the fuel lines as well.

seaking-1

seaking-2

qd17

johnson

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mumbles.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

From your description, it is unclear where the water is coming out the Sea King. Little hole??? If you mean that little pipe, water is NOT supposed to come out there, There sure better not be, anyway. That is a crankcase puddle drain to drain off any excess fuel that accumulates in the crankcase. You will see a few drops of fuel dribble out there.

The spent cooling water blows out of the slots about halfway down the backside.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Harrison_Bergeron

Yeah it’s weird it should be coming out of the area I circled in red, but instead water was slowly coming out of where the powerhead connects to the lower unit. (I circled it in Green) Do you thinks it’s just because the impeller wasn’t connected properly to the pipe the water flows up through?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3588
    Topics: 326

1956 Johnson QD-17: I have never tried to fire this up yet, but the prior owner said he could get it to run for about 30 sec – 1min before it would die and he had replaced the old carburetor float. I just added new rubber seals and springs to the double pronged fuel hose connector and I bought a new gasket for the gas tank and am planning making sure it makes a good seal when I pump it up to pressurize it, but was looking for advice common problems in getting these tanks to work with the motors.

actually the primer does not pressurize the tank.. the motor air nipple behind the carb & below pushes air in the tank while it burns the fuel in the carb bowl hence the need for the tank to be air tight otherwise the fuel never gets to climb up to the carb !

the motor runs so fuel gets to it when you prime.. the tank just make certain the fuel cap is screwed on and you have no air leaks dropping pressure like a flat tire & starving the carb of needed fuel. .

…then you can look elsewhere for problems (compression should be ok if it runs 30sec.)

those tanks are fine….and you have the option of going pump…see video I have done afew and all work great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.

dbkski

Replies: 29
    Topics: 5

Your Sea King:
    This diagram is NOT YOUR MODEL but the “principles” are the same. Yes you may be missing a gasket or two.
    One fits between the powerhead assembly and the lower unit tower assembly. See parts 551179
    “manifold cover plate” and 550348 “lower unit gasket” for one possible leak issue. The other is that
    you may be missing or have damaged the “doughnut” gasket that fits on the water tube and inserts
    into the powerhead. Missing one or both can cause leaks and pressure issues. Damage to the doughnut
    can cause a blockage. I don’t have a diagram or part number for the doughnut. I make my own.

Sea-King-5

Sea Kings Baby!!!

Harrison_Bergeron

Thanks everyone for the tips! I’ll check that gasket out. This QD-17 that I just got has probably been sitting for 20 years, but the guy who gave it to me said when he did fire it up for 30 seconds or so it pumped water. Would you change out the impeller anyway just to put a new one in it or if it pumps water would you just not worry about it?

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

yes .. change the impeller …any part can break of after 20 years and cause heart failure

what about the tank….leaks air ???

lift the tank above the motor …see if it runs longer by gravity feeding it if yes…. you have an air leak somewhere between the engine to the tank preventing the tank from pressurizing

fuel pick up could be crudded at the bottom of the tank

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by crosbyman.

Harrison_Bergeron

Great idea with the gas tank Crosby! As for the water leaking out of the gap there, I think I might be on to something. On the parts list it shows there is supposed to be a “Water seal-driveshaft upper.” 550788 in the area that I circled green on the picture. I am missing that seal so I am guessing when it is running water is just blasting around in there. When I loosened a bolt that holds the powerhead to the lower unit a stream of water came leaking out.

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

On the QD, make sure the gas cap is tight, to allow pressure to build in the tank, as has been said. What I don’t think has been said yet, is that the pressure for the tank is developed by engine crank case pulses that are built by the use of rubber check valves in the intake manifold area. Once in awhile, you see those rubber valves deteriorate and not seal; so pressure can’t build up….

Long live American manufacturing!

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years

see picture…! small parts ..big impact !! good suggestion billw

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.