Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 5.5 Johnson fuel mix?

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    The Boat House
    Participant

JOHN HOLBIK
      Participant

My father ran a fishing resort here in Northwestern Ontario Canada from 1947 to 1995 ,We had at least six 5,5hp Johnsons great motors except for the lack of a shifter lock which caused users to creep shift them.We mixed all our gas at 25to1 and never had a thrown rod this was with the old oils of many different brands mostly automobile oil and the oil was never mixed the same twice in a row lots of guess work by us kids,I still have the Cd12 my dad bought Brand new in 55 it has thousands of hours on it still runs well.
        I believe the reason they threw rods was there was no neutral stop position for starting people would turn the grip it would advance to full and the motor would start and over rev and I saw alot of people sit there with a dazed look on their face as you screamed slow it down or they would semi panic and shift into gear and you could almost hear the ears on the clutch dog being sheared off/
        John

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

Personally, I use 16:1 in all my 50’s small motors.

jimk
          Participant

I took it out today on my little Lund and put about 4 hours on it. I used the mix of 20:1 I had and it ran great. Trolling most of the time and no plug fouling so will go to the 16:1 next fill on the tank. I opened it up a couple of times just to clean it out and all in all I am very happy with the motor. Also managed to catch a limit of walleye!

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Why is my post disappearing when I hit the [submit] button ? ? ?

I don’t know why but mine was doing the same thing the other day over in Dockside. It finally posted by opening a duplicate window and backing up to copy/paste the original text before the gremlins found it again. Later on I found the missing posts marked as ‘hidden’. Never did figure that one out.

This has been happening randomly to me – happened again yesterday when I tried to start a new subject over in Dockside.
              Dave

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I would definitely stick with the original 16:1 recommendation, especially for the reasons mumbles stated….While it is true that oils have improved over the years, I wouldn’t risk it….The beauty of these engines is that when properly tuned, they barely smoke at all at 16:1, these engines don’t foul plugs either.

outbdnut2
                Participant

US Member

I been using 20 to 1 in my 16 to 1 and 25 to 1 motors – I don’t have to keep yet another can of gas mixed, and it’s convenient to dump a quart of oil in a 5 gallon can. I also keep cans mixed at 8 to 1 for my PO-15 Johnson, and 50 to 1 for 50 to 1 and 100 to 1 motors. I use generic TCW3 oil.

One exception – whatever motor I put on my grandson’s hydroplane (6 to 15 HP depending on who’s running it) I double whatever the manufacturer recommends because these motors are revving higher RPMs than designed for. Note I do not have any special racing models. On the hydroplane, I go one heat range colder on the spark plugs.
                  Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.