1955 Evinrude 7.5 Tiller – Lower Unit Springs

Home Forum Ask A Member 1955 Evinrude 7.5 Tiller – Lower Unit Springs

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Trainwreckbob

Replies: 2
    Topics: 1

I am restoring/rebuilding a 1955 Evinrude 7.5. that has sat behind my furnace for about 20 years. There are four substantial springs about 1-3/4″ long and 1 1/4″ diameter. Two springs are installed at the tiller and two more for the lower unit. One pair uses a 0.168 inch coil and the other uses 0.205 inch coils.

I though they were all the same size until I cleaned them – which springs go on the tiller and which springs go on the lower unit.

Thanks!

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Is it physically possible to put them in the wrong position? I’m thinking the stronger ones go down below, but hate to say.

Trainwreckbob

I think you are correct – logically I would think the bottom springs should be more robust than the tiller springs – but I’ve been wrong before!

The spring dimensions are identical except for the wire size. I am sure someone has run into this issue before.

frankr

Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

If you can trust the picture (yea, right), it looks like the upper ones are thinner. But for some reason, I kind of think the wire size makes the I.D. / O.D. such that they wont go over the retainers #44. Not?????

bobw

Replies: 2448
    Topics: 56

Not exactly the same motor but on my ’54 5.5hp, the lower springs are definitely the larger size. Wouldn’t think the 7.5 would be any different.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

aquasonic

Replies: 634
    Topics: 42

I have an entire mid-section from the same motor that I had taken apart, painted, and reassembled not too long ago. As Frank wrote, the smaller gauge springs go up top. The mounts are keyed, so you need to make sure they are oriented to the keyway in the casting.

Once the lower mounts are in, I used a ratchet strap to compress them in order to attach #42 the stainless steel retainer strap on the outside.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by aquasonic.

Trainwreckbob

Thanks Frank, Bob and Aquasonic for all your help – This is just the advice I needed. I will install the bigger springs in the lower unit and the the smaller springs on the tiller. Wish me luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.