Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Evinrude Sportwin 10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    chuckw
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

My collection consists of Mercs, but I have a 56 Evinrude I had as a kid and want to replace the front carry handle which was broken. Does anyone have a parts diagram I can see to figure out how to remove the power head to get at the handle. (I assume I have to remove the power head). Thanks for any help.
      Chuck Webster
      Arlington, VT

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is a 56 Johnson QD 10 hp. Same thing??

56-Johnson-QD-handle

56-Johnson-QD-handle-partys-list

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well the good news is that you do not have to remove the powerhead to replace the steering handle. The bad news is that you have to be very careful not to break the upper and lower mounts when you disconnect them.
          There are mounts on either side just below the engine pan, and one hidden inside the steering handle under the forward engine pan. You can remove this pan without much trouble if you feel it will give you more access to the mount.
          There are mounts behind those clamshell covers just above the gearcase.
          Once the clamshell covers are removed along with the nuts holding the mounts, the powerhead/midsection/gearcase can be removed from the transom bracket/swivel housing…There are four bolts that hold the steering handle to the swivel tube. D

chuckw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks i have no luck getting the tower lowered. I have the power head off. There are two bolts on the steering handle that are impossible to reach.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Don’t understand “no luck getting the two lowered….”. Are you referring to the steering handle, or the tiller handle? You removed the powerhead so there is no need to pull all the mounts apart now because you can easily get at the four bolts holding the steering handle (#37 376583), and removing the nuts from the three upper mounts. Use the diagram posted to tell us what screws you are having trouble with….D

chuckw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I will try to post some pics soon, Thanks again.

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Do this——-(Powerhead removal was not necessary)

10hp-steering-bracket

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You’re a Merc guy? Heck, you should be able to do THIS operation with one hand tied behind your back!

Long live American manufacturing!

Mumbles
                    Participant

Two more screws on the lower mount, #34 in Franks diagram, have to be removed to before the covers will come off.

chuckw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for all the help and the diagrams. I got the steering bracket on and the tower back on. I checked the impeller, so now it is getting the gear foot on and then the powerhead, etc. (I appreciate the help, but most of my two cylinder Mercs are not as complicated. LOL)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.