Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Gale 5 HP fuel problem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mercuryman
    Participant

This is the engine with built in fuel tank and gear shift. Turn on fuel wait a little and it won’t start squirt some fuel in carb and the run ok and will restart. I thing the carb isn’t venting and it can’t fill. I can blow in the fuel inlet and it will slowly build up pressure. Is there a small air vent hole it top of carb?

Steve Martin
      Participant

US Member

2 things to check. Loosen the gas cap and see if that helps. If so, it’s the cap vent assuming you have it screwed open. If that doesn’t work check the screen filter which is screwed into the tank. The gas line attaches to it. I have found the screen plugged on a couple of my motors.

mercuryman
        Participant

I think I found the trouble I called Frank R. and found out where the vent holes were ( two big holes next to carb air intake) blew some through hole. Now starts with a few pulls right after you add gas.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Well mercuryman, thanks for giving me something to lay awake thinking about. Not being sarcastic, I have pondered about this subject before, as I’ve encountered it on some of my motors and it has baffled me. I’m not smart enough to figure it out. I’m thinking it has something to do with our modern fuels being blocked by the filter until the filter is wetted all the way through. Then once wet, the fuel flows through just fine. I’m also thinking the extremely low fuel pressure created by only an inch or so depth of fuel in the tank (gravity) has something to do with it. Anybody else got any opinion? BTW, I only use 100% Synthetic TCW-3 oil if that means anything.

mercuryman, as I told you on the phone, I don’t think you have a carb venting problem. Don’t be surprised if it isn’t fixed. If it is fixed, well praise the Lord.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by frankr.
          Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.