Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Merc MK 30 H

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    terry wier
    Participant

I just bought a 1956 Merc MK 30 H on contigent that the power head is in good shape. The motor was alledgedly restored 20 years ago ( looks pretty good) but has been sitting unused since. Here is my first issue (note: I have limited experience). In checking compression on #2 I get 89 lbs. When I put the gauge on #3 the motor locks up. It pulls fine without any plugs or gauge hooked up and pulls a little harder like you would expect with a plug in # 2 or #3. Put the gauge back on and it locks.

The gauge I have definitely screws in a lot further on # 3 and I am pretty sure the piston is hitting the gauge. ??? I have not tried # 1 or # 4 yet as I need to take the upper and lower cowls off to get the pressure gauge hooked up.

Any comments appreciated.

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member

get a mercury gauge. +about $40.00 will work removing any cowls.

terry wier
        Participant

Thanks for the reply. I looked at my gauge again and saw it had a built in longer coupler. I took that off and problem solved! Compression is good.

kirkp
          Participant

Curious. Why could he crank the motor over with gauge in #2 but not in #3? Pistons rotated 180 deg? Also, why would it screw in farther on one cylinder?
            Kirk

terry wier
            Participant

That is a mystery to me as well. Maybe I hit a rough thread spot on #2 and just didn’t tighten the gauge enough. When I retested with the shorter connector #2 was 106 vs 89.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by terry wier.
              • This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by terry wier.
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.