1956 Mercury Mark 6A Silent Six

Home Forum Ask A Member 1956 Mercury Mark 6A Silent Six

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Rusted Junk

Replies: 78
    Topics: 19

Hi All,
    I have come across this Mercury Mark 6A , I hear that magneto and other parts are scarce, Does anyone that has worked on these have any advice that could help me.
    Thank,
    RJ

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

If you are looking for a pleasurable experience, you will be disappointed. They are tough to work on and usually require a LOT of work. The magneto will be the absolute least of your problems. The biggest problem with them is that water intrusion in the gear case can cause, either from freeze damage or running with bad bearings and gears, the very last, aft, eighth inch of the gear case bullet to fracture and usually break completely off. This is the last little bit of gear case that has threads that retain the guts of the case; so if this happens, the gear case is junk. The water pump is also quite the tricky thing to reassemble and getting the carb off to clean is not the easiest thing to do, because the lower cowl can’t be removed unless you take the midsection apart. (You CAN get the carb off without removing the lower cowl but it’s just not super easy.) It has a neutral cable that frays at the end and is sometimes very difficult to get back into its tube, which you need to do during an impeller change, which WILL be needed. All that being said, that is a REALLY nice looking one and, when you finally get done flogging it and everything finally works right, they have a very good run quality, almost as good as OMC stuff.

Long live American manufacturing!

1 user thanked author for this post.

seakaye12

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

They are a challenge to work on. And; if it’s a salt water motor or just happens to have corrosion….the mid section can REALLY be difficult to get apart. Be careful with the plastic Neutral/Forward buttons….they are plastic and can break. There were aluminum replacements offered to remedy that.

I heard it said once…..”No matter what is wrong….just start by removing the prop and work your way up”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by seakaye12.

Buccaneer

Replies: 7495
    Topics: 1072

If you are looking for a pleasurable experience, you will be disappointed. They are tough to work on and usually require a LOT of work. The magneto will be the absolute least of your problems. The biggest problem with them is that water intrusion in the gear case can cause, either from freeze damage or running with bad bearings and gears, the very last, aft, eighth inch of the gear case bullet to fracture and usually break completely off. This is the last little bit of gear case that has threads that retain the guts of the case; so if this happens, the gear case is junk. The water pump is also quite the tricky thing to reassemble and getting the carb off to clean is not the easiest thing to do, because the lower cowl can’t be removed unless you take the midsection apart. (You CAN get the carb off without removing the lower cowl but it’s just not super easy.) It has a neutral cable that frays at the end and is sometimes very difficult to get back into its tube, which you need to do during an impeller change, which WILL be needed. All that being said, that is a REALLY nice looking one and, when you finally get done flogging it and everything finally works right, they have a very good run quality, almost as good as OMC stuff.

Bill, I went thru one of those a few years ago. It took hours of
    therapy working on “non – Mercury’s” to get over the trauma.
    Thanks for bringing up every detail that I struggled through
    on that motor, lol.

I did have a pretty good lake test with it, but sometimes the
    neutral shifter acted “goofy”, and later on while on the rack,
    the gear lube slowly leaked out.
    I never had the desire to dig back into it.

Prepare to be boarded!

Rusted Junk

Replies: 78
    Topics: 19

Thanks for the input, I haven’t bought this motor yet and may not, I have a Mercury Mark 20 that I haven’t even looked at yet, I would think it maybe the same difficult issues wrenching on it. I don’t know much about this Mark 6A and have only seen the pictures, the seller is a Lady and she doesn’t know anything about it or isn’t saying much. She is asking $100 for it. I was thinking of offering $50, but after the input probably better to steer clear and save the agony and expense .

RJ

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

It’s a shame about the face plate but the two plastic knobs are probably worth the $50 on eBay……..

Long live American manufacturing!

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

I’d give $50 for that all day long! Agreed, not “easy” to work on but run great! Maybe that gear case doesn’t have the frozen + cracked issues. Maybe you get lucky!!
    If it’s close, you should go look and see.
    Scott

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

I’d give $50 for that all day long! Agreed, not “easy” to work on but run great! Maybe that gear case doesn’t have the frozen + cracked issues. Maybe you get lucky!!
    If it’s close, you should go look and see.
    Scott

If you decide to pass, please send the contact info to me!

green-thumbs

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 583
    Topics: 43

The KF5, Mark5 and Mark 6 series sold well, but, they went thru a lot of changes. At swap meets I sometimes found one in my truck and not a clue as to how it got there,. Unless it can be shown start, run, and pump
    a right price would i FREE to $10 range AND then only to a patient and
    understanding new owner .
    They are said to be nice runners and they look nice restored. Do not pay
    a lot to buy, you will need to $ource parts, get both parts and service
    manuals and probably buy a parts motor.
    Louis

One thing for sure, if you get to know them well enough to get them
    up an running you will be the only kid on the block and perhaps be the
    go to guy for advice.

seakaye12

Replies: 1117
    Topics: 108

Like anything….once you take one apart a few times it gets easy (easier??) If the motor intrigues you and you can get it cheap enough….buy it and then buy a parts motor to learn on. Take the parts motor apart and put it back together again several times until you are completely comfortable with what needs to be done. Then tackle the better one. If you are lucky you will end up with one good runner….or if you are REALLY lucky …..two good runners.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.