Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 15hp Evinrude

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    joesnuffy
    Participant

Gary,
      Thank you for your help on this matter

Could you tell me about where it is located? Is it under the power head. I had one leaking on a 9.5hp Johnson and had to remove the water tube because it had came out because the washerclip had came off. I had to pull the power head and foot and re-route the copper tube back to where it went. I made a special washer on my own and soldered it to the copper tube so it would never slip back out.

When I have ran this 15hp motor I have kept my hand on top of the top cylinder it is running quite cool. I just wonder why the water sprays out that small hole I am guessing is that the grommet you mention is located near there its hard for me to tell in the picture.

Thanks,
      Joe

garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

It is located at that hole and goes in from the bottom. From there up the water tube is cast in. When the tube and grommet are removed, the hole continues into the exhaust cavity. The grommet has projections on the sides to lock it into the housing. The installation tool can be made from a threaded rod of a diameter that will easily fit into the grommet is fitted with a nut and washer to push the grommet in place. It is ground away on opposite sides so the locking projections on the grommet have room to retract. The also enables you to twist the grommet. Coating the grommet with KY jelly makes it easier the slip into place. It is twisted back and forth to get the projections in place. Hopefully when the one you see on the outside is in place, the one you can’t see will be in place also. Be sure there are no rough edges on the water tube. The KY should make it easy to insert the water tube. . . 😉

joesnuffy
        Participant

Thank You Garry for the detailed how-to change that grommet. I will change it it is leaking very badly so much I asked the question what that hole is for now I know.

Joe

joesnuffy
          Participant

I worked on the 15hp today. I removed the foot to replace the grommet and it turns out someone had put the copper tube in the motor upside down with the 45 degree angle that is suppose to help align the copper tube into the water pump in the UP position so I it wasn’t seating like it should in that grommet. I turned the tube around after inspecting the grommets put everything back together and no leaking. I am sure glad you guys told me to check that grommet it probably saved the engine from overheating.

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.