Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 2-cycle oil can what does it look like?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m looking to acquire an oil can to display along with my ’57 Lark. What am I looking for?

Mas

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Search for outboard oil can on e-bay and you will find lots of examples. This one has a 3-57 date on the side of the can. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Texaco-outboard … Sw5cNYii0y

garry-in-michigan
        Participant

Lifetime Member

I always used Duplex Outboard Special. We used a lot and they made dad a distributer. That meant most of his Evinrude dealers carried it and we also then got it at half price. . . 😎

mas
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Wow…looks like I’ll need to sell my Lark to buy an old can!

Square can to round…what year did the switch occur?

I like the graphics on the Duplex can Garry…the Texaco one is cool too…Thanks Guys

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

The first round can with a cone top and a spin-off cap I remember was Phillips 66 and it was somewhere around 1960. The rectangular cans were common to most brands for a few years before that. I remember in 1957 or 58 buying one brand of outboard oil in round glass jars with a spin-off cap.
              Dave

sydinnj
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

round glass jars were penzoil

sydinnj
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

here are some quick shots of my display of grease and oil cans with a few other odds and ends. Enjoy

Attachments:

mas
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Nice display! I’m drawn to the rectangular Duplex!

sydinnj
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks, The rectangle duplex is a special one, it came from Riggs Smith who got me into collecting the old outboards. The glass Penzoil are also special, my Dad had three of them and he would buy 2 cycle oil from the local small engine repair shop. He had two 5 gallon cans that he would take there and they would be picked up at the shop and taken somewhere and get filled and then brough to the shop and Dad would go pick it up. He would fill the bottles from the can so he could measure it for the mix

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.