Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Big Twin 35 Muffler Packing Material?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    boscovius
    Participant

Hey fella’s.

Got a question about what to pack in the muffler of my 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35. It’s been so long since I removed it that I don’t exactly remember what sort of material was in it. Fiberglas? Polyester? I have no idea, other than it was a filthy dirty yellow color and full of dirt, bugs, and crud. Being as that’s on the air intake side, I was going to pack it with polyester stuffing material. Anyone have a better idea?

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That “acoustical liner” on my ’56 Johnson 30hp was the same way when I got it. I couldn’t find anything I thought was suitable to use, so I just put it back together without any type of material.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

β€œEvery 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

boscovius
        Participant

Thanks Bob. I can’t find any kind of reference to that stuff. I don’t think it would work as well if I didn’t use anything, so I think I’ll give polyester batting a shot. It’s cheap and shouldn’t come apart and get into the engine.

frankr
          Participant

It was fiberglass. Like the Pink Panther stuff for walls. Lots of people just remove it. You won’t notice any difference in performance. Perhaps a bit louder if you have good ears.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by frankr.
            kerry
            Participant

Leave it empty. No chance of getting sucked up and doing damage.

If you have too many, AND not enough, you're a collector.

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

anything but FB will likely burn or melt in presence of hot gases…but a small piece in the ear canal would have the same effect πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ noise wise anyway

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.