Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Big Twin 35hp HELP

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

See my comments on your other thread. Again, those crankcase bolts look undisturbed/not repainted also, so I doubt that powerhead has been apart before.

oldboat1
      Participant

US Member

think you might check to see if the bendix gear on the top of the starter is stuck in the ring gear on the motor. The solenoid clicking would indicate to me a low battery or wiring issue, but there might have been enough juice to move the bendix gear up into the flywheel (not enough to turn over the motor under compression). Maybe you have solved this by now. You would free up the starter gear and the flywheel by rocking the flywheel back and forth a little until the gear drops back on the starter shaft. Pull the plug wires off the plugs before doing this, just to be absolutely safe.

sorry to hear about the $$ spent.

oldboat1
        Participant

US Member

saw your other post. appears the starter isn’t binding, at least in the pic provided. Hope you get it worked out.

bill-russell
          Participant

Well at least you got to trash your boat shop. Feel better?

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years
              quote Garry in Tampa:

I hate to say this, but the early production run 35s had problems with the needle bearings on the wrist pin wearing through the retainer at an idle and dropping out into the powerhead. 5000 motors had the powerhead replaced under warrentee. If you didn’t do much idling they would last a long time. A couple low hour Big Twins were five years old when they went bad. If it was from that first production run, they got a new powerhead. Later 40 horse models got roller bearings on the wristpin.

hey garry or frank,
              any chance you have access to the serial number range of the RDs that had the faulty rod bearings?

I’m curious because I have 6 or 7 RD/Big Twins of that variety.
              scott

1946zephyr
              Participant
                quote danblue:

Thank you for the qualified details Garry. I’ve also learned that if the lower unit rods weren’t adjusted just right in these Bog Twins, the gears would slip, and would act up etc…I just had my lower rebuilt this season, and it has been acting up, slipping out of gear, etc. so I’m done with it..these Evinrudes were prone to issues with the gears slipping I’ve heard.

Well, at least I’m learning that if I just go ahead and get a Johnson Seahorse, I’ll actually be able to enjoy an antique outboard without to many issues…My family and friends are sick of boating with me because of all the issues I’ve had with this motor, and it’s been very discouraging.

I’ll see if I can find a really nice Seahorse 35hp or 40hp from the mid to late 50s…If anyone is selling one, please let me know!

Thanks everyone!

Danny

Evinrude and Johnson are one of the same, mechanically. By 1956, all motors of Johnson and Evinrude were shared design. The 5.5 and 10 got the Evinrude label and the 7.5 and 15 got the Johnson label. The Big Twin class was virtually identical since 1951 and the 3hp Lightwin was the next corparate motor (1952) So, really, the only difference in the two labels, is the color schemes. It would be fun to build a Frankenrude with each part of a different color, from 1952 to 1973

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.