Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5 HP (Gear Shaft Seal)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cesarp35
    Participant

Ok guys here’s my deli ma, i ordered the sierra 18-2035 shaft plate seal only because my local dealer didn’t have the OMC 0327031 in stock, i removed the old seal witch looked to be the original seal and when i went to put the new seal in, it dropped right in the plate with no resistance, i double check the part just to make sure it was the right part# and it seems to be correct for my 1957 Evinrude Fastwin 7.5hp model #7522 i’m sure with enough sealant i can probably get it to work but i would think that the seal would have to punched in with a socket, has anybody run into the same problem? it just seems a little loose. Thanks in advance guys!!!

david-bartlett
      Participant

Cesar,

Sounds like maybe the seal got mislabeled. The Sierra 18-2035 should measure 0.875" OD, 0.425" ID(Shaft size), and 0.313" Thick. Hope this helps.

I am not a big fan of Sierra products.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm, I know I have run into this before….I think there are two different size seals (OD) used on these units….
          Will look in later years 6hp models to see if there is a different part number. Does it look like your unit has been apart before? If so, perhaps someone replaced the upper seal/bushing housing assembly….

frankr
          Participant

US Member
            quote fleetwin:

Hmmm, I know I have run into this before….I think there are two different size seals (OD) used on these units….
            Will look in later years 6hp models to see if there is a different part number. Does it look like your unit has been apart before? If so, perhaps someone replaced the upper seal/bushing housing assembly….

Yep, I’ll bet that’s what happened.

cesarp35
            Participant
              quote david bartlett:

Cesar,

Sounds like maybe the seal got mislabeled. The Sierra 18-2035 should measure 0.875" OD, 0.425" ID(Shaft size), and 0.313" Thick. Hope this helps.

I am not a big fan of Sierra products.

Yea David those are the measurements labeled on the package

cesarp35
              Participant
                quote fleetwin:

Yeah Fleetwin the water pump was upgraded to the newer plastic housing witch takes the smaller impeller, i don’t know if they had to use a different shaft seal plate for it, and if they did what seal would be the correct one?

cesarp35
                Participant

Well i was looking on marineengine.com and was browsing at later years and i found this one for a 1969 6HP looks to be like the one that came off plate, based on marineengine.com the plate is the same part# for this 69 6hp and my 1957 7.5HP but the seals are different part #’s that’s where i’m confused. Can this be the seal? OMC# 0314167 – Oil Seal Sierra# 18-2024 it sure looks like the one that came off.

frankr
                  Participant

US Member

There was a mid-year change to the bearing plate in 1968. The new plate was 382796 and contained a seal 314167 (18-2024).

Previous to the change, the seal was 300599, superseded by 327031 (18-2035)

The new plate & seal, when used together, replaces earlier ones.

cesarp35
                    Participant
                      quote FrankR:

There was a mid-year change to the bearing plate in 1968. The new plate was 382796 and contained a seal 314167 (18-2024).

Got it! looks like someone put the newer plate somewhere along the line then, so i need to order seal #314167, Thanks for the info FrankR i really appreciate it!!!!

cesarp35
                      Participant
                        quote cesarp35:

quote FrankR:

Got it! looks like someone put the newer plate somewhere along the line then, so i need to order seal #314167, Thanks for the info FrankR i really appreciate it!!!!

Hey FrankR I received the new OMC 314167 seal today and it fit perfectly, just wanted to say Thank You for the info!!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.