Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Lark questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    okcgravity
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I am getting to work on an Evinrude 35hp Lark that we picked up last year cheap. Watched the guy start it on the hand crank and it runs. This was our first weekend to get into it "been working on the boat" and we just realized that there is a lot of stuff missing to do electrical start. Does anyone know of a good walk through, or can offer one, of what is needed on the boat side for electrical start? Solenoid, regulated, and all that jazz? The motor has the plug on the side and the wiring harness, but is missing all the boat side things.

Also, noticed this odd thing on the back of the motor, not sure what it is or what it does. It sits against the valves, and pivots back and forth freely, almost looks like it is missing an arm of some kind.

Thanks for any advice,
      Kevin

opposedtwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

buying those electrical components piecemeal can get expensive. the parts are out there. try to find someone who can supply you with most everything you need at once.

your best bet may be to get a parts catalog for that motor. all the electrical parts you need will be listed. it’s a great way to familiarize yourself with that motor. i’ll see if I have it in my computer.

yep, missing the compression release actuating arm. it’s stainless steel. easy to find. (part #8 in the link diagram below) it feeds through a hole/slot in the top of the recoil cover and is attached to a plastic guide that rides in a groove on the starter pulley. makes starting the motor easier when you do it by hand.

scott

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … late+Group

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johns … e+Cylinder

chris-p
        Participant

That is the compression release system. There is a bar missing, which attaches to the recoil.

It aids in starting the motor manually by releasing a bit of compression in the cylinder to aid in roping it over in case you are not Hercules! It does nothing when the starter turns the motor over. Just the recoil.

PM me with your email address and Ill send you a wiring diagram.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

IF, if you are strong enough to pull it, it actually will start better with the compression relief disabled. It is there for the women and kids. Yeah, I know, some women are stronger than some of us guys. But anyway, that is why many of them are disabled.

okcgravity
            Participant

Thanks for all the advice guys,

I would love to get it restored in great shape some day, but right now we are looking to get it on the water. Anyone had any luck with after market solenoids and regulators? Just wanna get her running on the lake this summer, then over the next few years will be going piece by piece on boat and motor and doing proper restoration.

Kevin

frankr
              Participant

US Member

A generic (Ford) solenoid from the auto parts store looks exactly the same, but is different inside. If you use it, it will instantly destroy the starter safety switch. Not only that, it won’t work. Ok, admittedly, it can be made to work if you know what you are doing, but you won’t have the protection of the safety switch.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I can’t see for sure, but I don’t think your motor has a generator, does it? If it does not, then you don’t need a regulator. The generator was an accessory item.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.