Home Forum Ask A Member 1957 Evinrude Sportwin 10hp shift lever pivot pin

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nazarenko
    Participant

Recently purchased a boat with a 1957 Evinrude Sportwin 10 hp. I have taken apart the lower gear case to check on the components, prior owner said that it might need some work.

In taking apart the gear case I did not notice that it had a shift lever pivot pin that was floating in the assembly. I inadvertently lost the pin in the cleaning process, it was there connected to the shift rod assembly, I have a photo of it before I took the gears off the prop shaft. The shift lever pin is part #15 (302501) in the attachment. In checking the shifter lever and assembly part #16, a number 10 machine screw 1 inch long or so exactly fits into the hole and into the bottom of the gear case.

Is is necessary to replace with the exact part which is available for $10 and a 1 week for delivery, or will the screw replacement be ok.

Thank you.

Image-4-16-21-at-7.01-PM

Image-4-16-21-at-7.01-PM-1

Gear Case

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Mike Nazarenko. Reason: Add attachment
      • This topic was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I would think the screw would work, but I’d rather consider a smooth steel pin.

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Use the correct OEM piece…The pin must seal as well as support a critical component for proper shifting…

Mumbles
          Participant

You have an early model ’57 Sportwin as the floating pin was only used on motors up to #11000 and motors #11001 and up used a screw in pivot pin with a sealing washer on it. Since it supports the shift cradle, I’m sure it is made of hardened steel so a soft screw wouldn’t hold up. If you can’t find the proper pin, how about cutting the shank off a drill bit of the proper size? Drill bits are hard.

Besides the pivot pin, the prop shaft seals were also changed mid year on these motors but I think it was at a higher number. I would have to check on that.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Mumbles.
            Mike Nazarenko
            Participant

My motor was made in Canada and the serial number is 10014-50691.

Sounds like its not worth the risk of trying to retrofit something in there when an original pin is available. Feel foolish that I lost the pin. I’ll check the working area under my bench today to see if I can locate it, but will order the replacement if I can’t.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Everybody has an opinion, if it were me I would look around for a piece of rod or maybe a sheer pin. A bolt that is the right size you could cut the head off and the treaded end off with a hack saw and have it done in five minutes. The original was a mild steal rod, nothing special. It does need to be the right diameter so it’s not sloppy in its bracket. JMHO

dale

Mike Nazarenko
                Participant

Thank you, a knee padded, headlight driven hands and knees search resulted in finding the pin in an expansion crack on the garage floor this morning.

Thanks for your help.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Glad you found it, be sure the gasket or oring is in place so that it seals properly when installed…

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t feel bad took me weeks to find a .. “flying washer” the one that fits above the drive shaft carbon seal the critter rolled all the way to the back of my workbench…. behind an empty can.

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

JOHN HOLBIK
                      Participant

I would be embarassed if some one posted the number of tiny springs from chain saw carbs that flew off into no mans land over the years that I have worked on them.
                        John

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.