Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 10 horse Johnson carb rebuild

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    cron78
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m still struggling with this carb. I have it apart and cleaned except that I cannot get the 303947 needle bushing off of the low speed needle. It is locked on better than if it was cast as one piece. soaked it overnight in carb cleaner. Tried PB blaster. Tried heat. Tried pure muscle and the pliers are just trimming off the outside of the bushing and the needle. Seems a lost cause. I have tried to attached a photo of the parts before cleaning; you will see the needle with the bushing in the pan. The needle could not reach the threads to be seated in the cleaned carb, apparently due to the location of this stuck bushing.

What is the purpose of this bushing? I don’t remember one like this when I rebuilt a ’56 Johnson 7.5 HP a couple years ago. I guess I just need to find a new needle and bushing, right? Then what is the order to reinsert the low speed packing, needle and bushing?

In the second photo (if it is there) you can see the white dust/powder that was loose in the carb when I separated the two parts, and the remnants of the gasket that seems to be rubber. This is the powder that I asked about a couple days ago when I couldn’t figure out how to post a pic. The high speed needle was stuck in the carb and had similar powder/corrosion locking it in until a little heat persuaded it out.

Thought about substituting a 5.5 horse needle from a parts motor, but they are different sizes…

Thanks for any comments and hints.

Dale

• This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by cron78.
      • This topic was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by cron78.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.