Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 envinrude 35 HP big twin running rough

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Got the short video….Couldn’t tell if the engine was running on only one cylinder, it was at dead idle….Just sounded very rich….Will forward the video to whoever else wants to watch/listen…D

rvdriver
      Participant

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. We are attacking this all on Friday. The fuel tank is the double pressure original line. Installing new plugs and checking the points. We think it’s still running too rich.

Steven

rvdriver
        Participant

My good friend Greg Schneider came over this past Sunday and we worked on the Evinrude.

We checked the plugs and did a spark test and found that was ok. Since we just rebuilt the carburetor and checked the fuel filter and the pressurized tank was recently overhauled, we turned our attention to the ignition.

We pulled the flywheel and checked the points and checked the gap. Upon further inspection, Greg noticed that one of the condenser mounting screws was very lose. We used blue locktite and put it all back together. I had purchased new plugs, but we installed the old ones to check them.

The engine fired right up and ran smooth. We took it out on the lake and it ran perfect after a few small mixture tweaks.

I have access to aviation fuel (I work at an airport and own an airplane), so I made up a tank and took her out for another test ride yesterday and she ran great.

Thanks for all the great help and advice!

NOTE: Any idea where I could obtain an owners manual for the 1958 Evinrude 35 HP Big Twin?

Best Regards,

Steven

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Great news Steve, I’m glad the solution was a simple one….Keep en eye on ebay for a 58 Bigtwin manual, I see them from time to time. Perhaps someone in AOMCI has one also, post an add in the classifieds…

rvdriver
            Participant

I thought I updated this thread. The cause was a lose condenser that was not grounded properly causing an intermittent firing.
              Thanks for all the great help!

olcah
              Participant

US Member

comment deleted.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by olcah.
              Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.