Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 evenrude 10 hp info needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Donald Keller
    Participant

US Member

I have found a 1958 evenrude 10 hp they say is stuck for a good price as parts motor.It will be a few days before I can pick it up..Not sure yet why it’s stuck..I also know where a good powehead is for a 1959 evenrude 10 hp..Will the 1959 powerhead bolt up on the 1958 an work??? Thankyou in advance for info fo and help.

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

if it did not go for  swin just soak the cyl a few days and pull the cyl. head..

alternately bash the cyl. with sharp  firm blows with a wood peg and  hammer .  go slow  be  patient  resoak bash again. ….go slow  be  patient  resoak bash again. ….

it may loosen up and  be a perfectly good engine.

find another PH for the 58 🙂

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Donald Keller
        Participant

US Member

Thankyou Crosby man…I will take my time a. try to free it up…

Steve D
          Participant

The ’59 internals might be the same as the ’58 but the cyl. head lacks the posts for the rubber bumpers for the ’58 hood. And you can’t swap heads because the ’58 doesn’t have a thermostat and the ’59 does. But if you can get the ’59 power head for a decent price it might be worth keeping around for parts or possible project down the road.

58-powerhead

Donald Keller
            Participant

US Member

Thankyou Steve  D for this info…is very helpful…I did not know if I could change parts for it to mount or not…thankyou….and like you said I could put the 59 up for future use…thankyou…it will be this coming weekend before I can get the 58 an see what is really wrong with it..I will post what I find out.

Donald Keller
              Participant

US Member

Steve D, that is a very nice looking powerhead….looks brand new…

Steve D
                Participant

The rest of the motor looked new too Don. Probably the best original I ever owned. But I hated using it for fishing and a daily runner because it was so nice and I didn’t want to ruin it. So it just sat…and then I needed some moola so I sold it. I have some other nice ones, though not as pretty, backyard paint job, etc. that I don’t mind using for fishing, etc.

58E-3
                  56E10-56J10-58J18

crosbyman
                  Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Donald  if you ever  need/loose those rubber bumpers  thenew ones are pricy  …common tire valves  stems work just as good.   just  snip  off the brass threads to match  the real McCoys  lenght and  done.

not my Idea I have no claim to it   could have been STEVED’s  idea can’t remeber  🙂

p.s. STEVE D…. absoloute  marvels       museum stuff !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Donald Keller
                    Participant

US Member

Thankyou Steve D for sharing you pics, you have some really nice looking motors, they all look Great.and thankyou again for valuable info

Steve D
                      Participant

No claim here either crosbyman, I just passed it on too. That all original ’58 Evinrude 10 really was a marvel. But those others all have flaws up close but that’s why I don’t mind using those up. And Don, here are a few pics of what crosbyman is referring to with those bumpers.

Tire-valve-bumper-3
                        tire-valve-bumpers-1
                        tire-valve-bumpers-2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.