Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson 35HP Wiring harness advice needed please…

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    chris-p
    Participant

You can still get them brand new as well if the customer wants to pay for it

http://www.nymarine.ca/wiringharness.htm

wedgie
      Participant
        quote Chris_P:

You can still get them brand new as well if the customer wants to pay for it

http://www.nymarine.ca/wiringharness.htm

…Not so bad for Americans as those prices are in Canadian $. 😉

mas
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years
          quote Huntleybill:

Not sure if I am explaining this clearly but is there a way to move these wires around or do I have to get a new harness? Or is there another approach?

Finding the correct one is probably easiest…but instead of moving, is it possible just to add?

Mas

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Not knowing the actual pin-out pattern, check it out. There are unused wires in the harness for a generator–if no generator kit is installed. Something probably will match up and can be used for the choke. However, there is more to the story than that. The two extra wires added in 1958 are for the ignition switch kill circuit. It probably will be simplest to just get the correct internal harness and be done with it.

wbeaton
            Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I’ve seen this problem before. You can’t just add a pin to either harness as they are sealed at both ends. If you look close you’ll see that the pin outs don’t match. One of your pins goes to a dead hole. Even if you reassign the pins you will still be missing one. The easiest thing to do is to replace the internal harness with a newer one. I like to swap the 1957 harnesses out to gain the extra pins for the magneto leads so that a remote kill switch can be added.

Wayne
              Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

outbdnut2
              Participant

US Member

Of course, if you don’t care about absolutely original looks, you can always run another wire for the choke out of the motor somewhere else all by itself – add a connector in-line with it if you want a quick way of disconnecting to remove the motor from the boat, then have it follow the original fat cable to the solenoid box by joining them with zip-ties.
                Dave

huntleybill
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I just ordered a ’58 internal harness. Not cheap, but it should be correct and I won’t have to mess with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.