Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Johnson Super Seahorse 50

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rmart98
    Participant

This motor was purchased new by my wife’s dad and used for 3 seasons. By 1961 he had moved on to gocarting and the motor was garaged on this stand. In 1983 my buddy and I had it tuned up and used it for one season. He caught the boating bug and I did not, so the motor went back on the stand and has been in my garage ever since.

I am trying to gauge interest in my motor- I know this model is still restored and I know this is in great shape for its age, but I cannot vouch for the mechanical condition other than that it ran well 38 years ago and was well maintained by its original owner 60+ years ago.

I have more information and pictures if you are interested. I believe the right home for this motor is on the water, not collecting dust in my garage. We are near the Fox River in Illinois and with the right conditions would consider delivery within a day’s drive.

You can contact me here (for 30 days?) or at r.mart998@gmail.com

lindy46
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Nice old “Fat 50”. These were the 4 cylinder precursor to the 75hp models which came a few years later. They are thirsty – love gas! Might be desirable to someone restoring a 1958 boat. The 35hp motors of the day were much lighter, less thirsty and almost as powerful, so the Fat 50s weren’t as popular.

rmart98
        Participant

Thanks lindy46

I read this model was Johnson’s first V4. The summer we had it out someone told me ‘it isn’t fast but has enough torque to pull down a house’.
          My M-I-L tells me the motor was originally on an Aristocraft that he loved, but it was t-boned on the trailer. He ended up buying a new Thompson that she loved. I’m going to ask for pictures.

tinkerman
          Participant

How much you looking to get?. Just so happens I’m fixing to have a 58 thompson

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Looks real nice, I am assuming you still have the original wiring harness/dash panel/junction box for this beast….Hoping you can find a good home for it….

mas
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’d be possibly interested too.. but where it is located is always an issue.

Mas

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Guys was this motor made in a Javelin version? The 50 I remember was all white. It might have been a 1959, V4SL model number is it a long shaft?

dale

bkrsdoz
                  Participant

Dale,
                    Did this fat fifty ever sell?
                    Thanks,
                    Bob
                    bkrsdoz@gmail.com

reivertom
                    Participant

They are thirsty, but if you’ve seen what new large motors sell for, you can buy a lot of gas and oil, and still come out way ahead.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.