Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 Royal Scott info??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mas
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Anybody have any info on a 1958 Royal Scott outboard? Are they reliable and obtainable? What about the weight and power?

I believe my boat (1958 Wolverine) originally came with a Scott and I’m possibly interested in the same.

Am I wasting my time? They do not seem to be common.

Mas

retiredoz
      Participant

US Member

My book says that little gem goes 142 lbs (w E-start). The ’59 parts list says it uses a ‘standard’ mag, so I assume the ’58 does too. McC made a mid-year change to the mag in ’59, so ignition parts for the older motors may be uncommon ? It also shows the bail-o-matic, which wasn’t everybody’s cup of tea.
        I don’t know that the engine itself was substantially different from its contemporaries – it seems Sears sold several of them until McC spit the bit.

I don’t like your chances of finding specifically a ’58, but I have actually been wrong once or thrice before.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

I’ve worked on a few of them back in "the day". They were fairly simple and pretty fast, compared to OMC. I didn’t find them to be great at idle but maybe some did. Probably has a Phelon magneto with alternator, and a carburetor made by Tillotson. As for the Bail-A-Matic, 1957 models had the troublesome high-mounted pump, but I think 1958 was the year they changed it and put the pump down where it belongs. They were OK, down there. I could be mistaken on the year. Lower units are generally durable and trouble-free. Parts are harder to find than the more common breeds.

They did have nice styling. And not something that everybody else has. Makes for an attention-getter.

If you are looking to buy one, be aware that the electrical harness and instruments are part of the motor. Could be hard to find if some cretin removed the motor with a hacksaw. That goes for the remote control too.

retiredoz
          Participant

US Member

My aftermarket service manual (covering ’58-’65) shows a picture of the cooling/bail pumps mounted on the lower unit. However, there’s an ominous (?) note that this is for ‘later’ models with the ‘earlier’ two-cylinders having the pumps in the lower motor housing. ‘later’ in this case starts with ’59.

It also says you can expect to find twin Carter model N carbs. Or Tillotsons. Or maybe even Walbros. Looks like McC used them all.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

We need a model number to give any intelligent information. BTW, I mentioned the elecctrical stuff. 1958 has a metal battery box, which also houses an electric fuel pump and the alternator’s selenium rectifier, and other goodies. Usually in disasterous condition.

mas
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ve never seen one except in picture ads (as I found on an eBay pic). Maybe I will never find one…? I too like the styling. My boat has the original McCulloch dash plate that I think is pretty cool. I also recently picked up a shifter on eBay. That is all I got or know. I like them…just do not know much about them! Here’s a few pics:

slim60
                Participant

I’d like to see some pix of your boat.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Here’s some Scott dual lever controls on the Bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960S-SCOTT-MCC … 31&vxp=mtr

mas
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Here you go…1958 Wagemaker Wolverine!

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Some guys have all the luck, I tell ya….You just have cool all over the place, there. I mean, yeah, it should have a period correct engine to go with the dash; but a short shaft 75 Evinrude, too???? How often do you see THAT? That is a very desirable engine, to the right person.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.