1958 super sea horse

Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 super sea horse

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)

• tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 312
    Topics: 54

Ok I’ve been away a while working on a 1930 Pontiac but I’m back. I’m going this weekend to pick up a 1958 thompson wood boat and it has a super sea horse 50 hp. Would anyone have a lead on impeller and carb kit? It’s been stored since 1980 so I’m figuring this is bear minimum. Are there NOS parts floating around for these ? I know the smaller HP motors if you ask around enough you can find about anything but are the bigger motors of this era the same?

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

You should be able to find common service parts fairly easily for this engine…

crosbyman

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 3587
    Topics: 326

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1958&hp=50

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.

tinkerman

I’m finding a lot of parts at marine engine but no carb kit. A couple of other places have them listed but say their out of them. The guy said the carb was drained for storage and by looking at the boat I’d say this guy was meticulous… But 40 years? No way the carb is still good…. Right? I did find an impeller but what gaskets might I need to tackle this job? Seals? Or just get it running first? Thanks

It's a jungle out there.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737
    Topics: 46

Well, I guess I would so some basic checks before doing any major work. No sense rebuilding the carb on an engine with low/uneven compression or a gearcase full of water….Check to see if it has spark on all four cylinders, you may need to clean and readjust the points. Then I would try to start the engine to see how/if it runs.
    From the looks of the picture you posted, it would appear that the engine was carefully maintained. The carb may not need cleaning/rebuilding if in fact it was actually drained prior to being stored.
    If the engine seems to run OK, then I would pull the gearcase and replace the pump/impeller. But again, be sure to drain/inspect the gear lube first. Milky lube, or raw water draining out spells trouble. In that case, once the gearcase is removed it should be pressure tested to pinpoint leakage issues.

tinkerman

Your thinking of the other post about pics but here’s one yes pretty clean

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

Trying to get them all on one post but didnt

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

Anyway can’t get other pics to load

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

Ok I went and picked up the boat. The gentleman said it was getting fire and that he had went thru the lower unit in the fall and replaced bearings and seals he said the impeller looked no different than a brand new on out of the box. I got it home and put it in a Barrel but when I pumped the bulb both tanks were leaking. It did fire once but then nothing else. I drained the barrel and before I came out I bumped the switch and it fired right up for a brief Instant. The bad news is I took the plugs out to see if they were wet and the lower on starboard is STRIPPED. SO I’m needing a head for the starboard side 1958 Johnson 50 hp if anyone can help or has suggestions thanks

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

Also on the fuel tank, it’s leaking from the top when you squeeze the bulb. Would this just be the gasket or would it be the diaphragm leaking? Any thoughts? It also has an original tank mounted under the port seat that looks to be larger than a 6 gallon?

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.