Home Forum Ask A Member 1958 super sea horse

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It concerns me that the previous owner had the gearcase all apart….I would keep an eye on the oil level in the gearcase and change the fluid frequently….

tinkerman
      Participant

US Member

He’s a mechanic by trade and he was fixing known issues. He seemed like an honest guy. Would the leaky gas tank cause the engine not to run?

It's a jungle out there.

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The leaky tank could be sucking enough air to prevent filling the carb. Whether it is or not, there are tiny orings that are shot and need to be replaced. An easy job.

ede
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Send me an email note, do have NOS cyl head and some carb parts and OH gaskets set Ed Elliott, eddelliott@cox.net

tinkerman
            Participant

US Member

I took the carb off and removed the top to access the float. Everything looked CLEAN float valve was working properly. The guy said they always drained the carb and I tend to believe him. I have NEVER tore into an older motor like this and seen zero varnish of any kind. The float looked like it just came out of a package. Not a single trace of debris in the float bowl. I’m hoping my problem is just the gas tank or primer bulb. I have a new head and gasket coming for the stripped threads and gasket for the tank. I’m hoping it works out

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman
              Participant

US Member

I fixed the fuel tanks installed new head and gasket. Started the boat in a Barrel and adjusted the low idle. It’s starting and runnin exceptionally well. BUT (always a but) the water from the barrel is smelling strongly of raw gas. I’m assuming it’s coming out the exhaust? What causes this. I e read posts where people say these engines dump as much as a quart of raw fuel per 6 gallon tank. Is there a worn part that’s causing this or just a flaw with these engines? It literally starts and runs perfect in the tank but I don’t really wanna dump a follow of gas in the lake Everytime I go out. (My kids swim there) please chime in

It's a jungle out there.

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Well it is a fact of life that they (and all old outboards) do dump some gas & oil.. But a quart per 6 gallons would be stretching the facts a bit.

tinkerman
                  Participant

US Member

Glad to hear that for sure frank. Ive also heard they burn 6 gallons of fuel in 1/2 hr. I’m hoping their stretching that a little also

It's a jungle out there.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

Well the fat fifty does have a reputation as being a gas hog. And I suppose they could burn that much if improperly adjusted. But a well running motor should use maybe 7-8 gallons per hour at WOT. Do you know if yours has the factory carburetor upgrade kit?

tinkerman
                      Participant

US Member

Well I took the boat out today and it used 12 gallons in 5_1/2 hrs. We were moving most of that time and some with pulling a tube. Frank I’m not sure what I’m looking for on the carb but I do have the original owners book for the engine that talks about planing it out then easing back on the throttle. I did this about all day and I could feel almost a little click when I eased it back. The manual said this alone could save you 25%. At 12 gallons do 5_1/2 hrs I can live with that. And I think if we were just cruising it would do better yet. How do I physically know if it has the upgrade frank?

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.