Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Evinrude 18hp “Golden Jubilee”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    OB1
    Participant

Couldn’t pass up a good deal on a ’59 Evinrude 18hp “Golden Jubilee”… So, I’m going through the motor getting things in good running shape. Got the ignition going strong, then proceeded to rebuild the carb. Upon installation of the carb, I’ve run into an impasse trying to set the throttle/ignition synchronization.

On this motor the brass linkage rod connecting the throttle to the roller arm had a bend in it. Not seeing any other means of adjustment, I bent to rod so the roller lined up properly with the ignition cam plate mark. After doing this, I realized the throttle wouldn’t open fully at full throttle position.

So, I proceeded to research on the internet. I came across a video of a ’59 18hp that had a slot on the ignition cam plate. I thought, OK, this is how it’s done. However, after looking at mine, I don’t have this slot. So… I’m very perplexed at this point. Other similar outboards of this vintage also seem to not have the bend in the throttle/roller brass linkage rod. Something here seems amiss.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I believe the slotted hole is at the other end of the cam plate. Loosen that end and slide in/out to adjust pick-up point. WOT should take care of itself.

OB1
        Participant

Never mind… Looks like I was looking at the wrong end of the plate. Duh -The other end of the cam plate does have a slot.

OB1
          Participant

Yes, frankr. You are absolutely correct. Thanks for trying to set me straight.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by OB1.
            OB1
            Participant

OK – Got it set… Initially I still couldn’t get the roller off the cam platte even at full inward adjustment. Eventually, I decided the throttle linkage position at the carb was out of whack. So I gave it a few firm blows with a brass drift & hammer to bend the carb linkage connections slightly. Dialed right in after that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.