Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Evinrude 5.5 HP Engine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    fishing-fool
    Participant

Hello members:

I just joined this forum hoping for some guidance.

I just bought a 14′ Jon Boat from an 85 year old widow, and with it came a 1959 Evinrude 5.5 HP Engine.

She told me that they have owned both the boat and motor since they were new.

If fact, her husband before his death 5 years ago, had taken the engine to have the lower unit replaced and the engine "tuned-up".

She told me that he brought the engine home, put it in the garage and just a few weeks later found out that he had bone cancer.

Consequently, he never got a chance to use his Evinrude again.

I brought the engine to my local Evinrude dealer and he explained to me that they were great engines, but I am NOT willing to deal with the pressurized fuel system and the other particulars of this motor. He did tell me also that it would be valuable to a collector.

So my questions are the obvious: How much is it worth and how does one go about finding a buyer??

I would appreciate some help in this matter.

Thanks from Florida!

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

they are great fishing motors if in good shape start easily the pressure tanks are not a problem if the seals on the tank are not leaking they work fine. If they leak put in a new gasket and ready to go another 10 or 15 years. I have a 59 5.5 johnson always starts on first or second pull.
        As far as selling list it in the classified section here they sell anywhere from 20 to 200 depending on location and condition

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

wedgie
        Participant

The $’s depends a lot on your location.

I am in South West Canada and I paid $175 CDN for a nice original ’59 Fisherman with a good pressure tank and owners manual. The coils,points and condensers had been replaced with original OMC parts which alone are worth $100.00 + . Found it on Craigslist and it turned out I knew the seller . I’d done some work for his son in law many years ago.

Like ddWilson says, Pressure tanks work fine if all the seals and o rings are good. Never had a problem.

Steve A W
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I bought the same motor at a garage sale for $30 this summer.
            Granted it needs coils and maintenance.

Steve A W
            In North west Indiana.

Member of the MOB chapter.
            I live in Northwest Indiana

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Fishing fool, where in Florida are you? There is an aomci local meet at Lake Placid Saturday (Dec 5). If you are close, bring it by. Somebody might be interested. Especially if it has never been in salt water (has it?). Good fresh water motors are a lot harder to find here than "up North".

BTW, I agree, pressure tanks are not to be feared, if they are clean and in good condition. If it is full of gum & varnish & rust, well….

fishing-fool
              Participant

Ok, so maybe I should keep and try it out. I live in the Tampa Bay area. The Evinrude dealer told me that they do not work on older outboard engines, and I really wanted to have someone knowledgeable start it up and look it over. Do you know of a mechanic that would look at it, someone nearby?

kevinrude
                Participant

Well I am from Michigan, but believe it or not, I will be in the Tampa area tomorrow, 12/4. More specifically, I will be in Seminole/Largo. I can give it the once over and let you know what I think it might need. I flew in so I don’t have any tools with me, but as long as you have a couple slot screwdrivers and a 7/16" wrench (a compression tester and an analog multimeter would be ideal too) we should be able to figure some things out. Send me an email with your phone number and we’ll see if we can connect. kevinrude1@msn.com.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Tampa Bay? Doesn’t Mr.Asa or Garry hail from that area???

kevinrude
                    Participant

I’ve made arrangements to meet Pastor Jeff at the First Assembly of God church in Clearwater tomorrow (12/4) at noon if anyone else is available. Just trying to decide if I should wake up my wife now to tell her, or wait until morning……………

1946zephyr
                      Participant

Dont listen to those dealers. 99% of thhem are only there to get you to buy a new motor. Most of them won’t work on the older engines, because they don’t want to deal with stuck bolts.
                        As far as your motor goes, I also agree with the rest of these guys. Personally though, I think the ’58 and older are better. The fiberglass hooded models are just as reliable, but the fiberglass hoods themselves are not that great. They stand a risk of coming off, when you beach the motor. The older clamshell style motors are much better for this. I currently own a ’58 and a ’55 and had many others prior.
                        Anyhow, it’s fortunate that you came here, because there are a lot of good folks here, who are willing to give good advice. On the other hand, don’t let anyone try to get that from you too cheap. I’ve seen plenty here who think that they should be able to get motors like that for practically nothin and next thing you know, they resell it, as though they put gold plated medallions on it. It kind of defies the real nature of what this club is about. I’m sorry, but I’ve seen it happen at many occasions.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.