Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Johnson 35HP RD-21 electric starter question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    huntleybill
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am trying to purchase a starter for a RD-21. I looked on marine engine.com and found the part number to be 381865 I ordered one on ebay with that number as a reference but when the starter arrived, it did not fit. Seems the bolt pattern is different than mine. I measured at the center of both bolts and my original starter measured 2 1/4". The replacement starter measures 2 1/2".

I would like to get the correct starter and was wondering if I have the wrong part number. Can anyone help me figure out what to correct starter numbers are and where I can purchase the starter?

Thank you for your time.
      Bill

Mumbles
      Participant

I think your original starter should have an 11 tooth pinion and MDO-4002M stamped on the housing. P/N’s 385401, 392133, and 380238 are possibilities. I do have a pile of various starters both 6V and 12V so I’ll measure some when I finish doing yardwork.

huntleybill
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I took a pic of the tag. You are VERY close. Thank you for looking.

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Unless I am seeing things, the one you are measuring is a 6 Volt starter. Has open holes at the bottom where you can see the brushes??
            That’s a 6V.

Mumbles
            Participant

I thought the 4001 starter was 6V to but it looks like a 12 volter in the diagram. The 6V brackets measured close to 2 3/4 while some other brackets were just over 2 3/8. I can’t get at the starter on my ’59 Big Twin so I’m lost to.

Attachments:

huntleybill
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Damn….and no part number either!

huntleybill
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I googled the starter model number and it came up with this……

Partial List of Autolite Units and Equivalents:
                  Starting Motors MDH-4001M Evinrude, Johnson (OMC # 277432)

Looks like a part # to me but how do you know it’s correct until you buy it!!!???
                  decisions, decisions!

Mumbles
                  Participant

Marineengine shows the original P/N as 278023 which supercedes to 278232 which supercedes to the currently shown 381865. There’s likely more P/N’s but my reference book is from the early 70’s. One Amazon seller show this starter going back to 1960 and gives some dimensions except for the bolt spacing. Doing a Google search of those numbers might bring up the 277432 number.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/john … rter+Group

https://www.amazon.ca/STARTER-JOHNSON-O … B00E9FWI2K

jerry-ahrens
                    Participant

US Member

Take a look at a Arco 5376 on Marine Engine… it has an 11 tooth drive gear. I just put one on a 1959 35 Golden Jubilee. The only difference was, it was physically shorter than the original. On motors with a lower starter support bracket, you will need to fabricate a bushing to make up the difference between the starter housing and the lower support bracket. Very easy to do. Otherwise, it bolts right up. I’ve used Arco for 25 yrs. now, seems to be good stuff.

Goman
                      Participant

The starter I bought was Manufacturer Part Number: 277432 which lists the Arco 5376 as a replacement as well. The starter guy said it was a 12 volt starter and gave me this number to work with since his warehouse didn’t stock it. JOHNSON EVINRUDE 5705140. I’ve sent 3 of them messages for the bolt spacing but haven’t heard back from them yet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.