Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Lark flywheel hanging up on magneto

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I seem to have resolved the problem. There were some rough spots inside the flywheel by the magnet. I ground them smooth and now nothing is binding. Not sure why I didn’t notice any binding before.

On another note, I got a genuine Evinrude / Johnson (BRP) tuneup kit and sure enough it was made in China. One set of points wouldn’t open wide enough with the eccentric adjustment screw and I had to manually open them properly. The other set wouldn’t open at all and I had to remove the eccentric screw to get them to open. I adjusted them to. 020″ and checked timing with the mark on the flywheel and two marks on the mag plate. I found that in order to get the points to break when the flywheel mark was between the two marks on the mag plate, I had to set the points to .022-.023″. Just a heads up for anyone using the “new” points made in China. They will most likely not be correct if set to 020″. Use the timing marks to be sure.

JOHN HOLBIK
      Participant

Why are we accepting new parts that are worthless because they are improperly made.If we keep on paying and not returning the defective parts they will keep on shipping and selling worthless parts.In the spring I will be repairing a couple of 6 Hp Johnsons for a good friend when I go to the dealer I will bring a mag plate and will fit the points right there any ones that dont fit properly will be given back and if no proper replacements work I will go to another shop and do the same.

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

Parts fit fine on the mag plate – just didn’t work when the plate was put back on the engine. I could have done some bending to get them to work but it was easier just to remove the eccentric and manually adjust them. Once set and locked down with the set screw, the eccentric does nothing anyway. I guess they don’t care about making quality parts for our “old” motors since they haven’t been made for so many years, are relatively few in number, and the technology has completely changed. Best to look for NOS parts or refurbish the old parts. The old points that were in the motor weren’t too bad – I cleaned up the surfaces and they were very usable. The problem was the other end which rubs on the cam. Very worn down. I guess we need to figure a way to make a new rub surface for the old points! A great project for some innovative AOMCI member.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by lindy46.
          JOHN HOLBIK
          Participant

Put a couple of drops of light oil on the magneto felts to save wear on the rubbing block.

need2fish
            Participant

WRT the shoddy quality: I have some experience working for a company that did manufacturing offshore in Shenzhen. I observed that the fault lies in several places.
              o The factory has been given worn or damaged OEM parts to duplicate.
              o The factory has been given hand-drawn specs.
              o Sometimes the manufacturing is back-door business, where by day, the factory turns out creditable products for other industries and grey market by night..
              o Inferior raw materials
              o No or little quality control
              o Machinery is old, worn or inappropriate for making consistent quality.
              o A local agent has been hired by the American purchaser to oversee the operation and is producing products without the management’s knowledge.

These are all activities we’ve seen or heard of going on in our own backyard. Many or none involve the factory workers themselves.

With North American-based businesses and a decent level of competition, those activities would be short-lived as market conditions would prevent or kill them.

Not all outsourcing is bad. Trade between the US, Canada and Mexico has been quite successful to all parties because of the mutual benefits.

It doesn’t help that CEOs favor their pockets over their country.

The difference with the overseas companies and individuals is there is no way to make them accountable for the quality and safety of their knock-offs (or any other products, for that matter).

IMHO what we are seeing is a trade problem that needs to be addressed at its roots – that is, through the organizations such as the US Trade Department. We and all others who have been victimized by inferior and possibly dangerous products need to lean on the Department to take some sort of action.

…………………………………..(silence followed by the sound of NEED2FISH stepping off his soapbox).

outboardnut
              Participant

US Member

need2fish- Do you have any suggestions on how to “lean” on the US Trade Department??

Viewing 6 posts - 11 through 16 (of 16 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.