Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 Lark flywheel hanging up on magneto

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

This is a mystery. Putting new coils etc in my 59 Lark and for some reason the flywheel is locking up on the magneto. I’ve adjusted the coils a hundred times and even when set furthest in it hangs up. I switched mag plates thinking maybe the original was warped. No change. I even tried taking the coils off and flywheel still hangs up but not as severe as when coils are in. When coils are in, the magneto is literally locked to the flywheel at one particular point in the flywheel rotation. At other points there is no hangup. By the way, it does the same with the old coils as well. Is it possible the flywheel is warped? I’m running out of ideas.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by lindy46.
      johnny
      Participant

Are you sure the flywheel is hanging up on the coils? Since you tried removing the coils and it still hangs up I have to think it is hanging up on something else.

lindy46
        Participant

Not much else for it to hang up on. Everything is off the magneto plate – no coils, points or condensers.

Buccaneer
          Participant

I’ve put magic marker on the coil laminates when having rubbing issues, to see just
            where the flywheel is rubbing. Perhaps you could do the same on lower insides of
            the flywheel, or where ever else it could possibly rub?

Prepare to be boarded!

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It is surely possible that the flywheel is damaged somehow causing it to bind…It even binds with no ignition components in place? Perhaps you don’t have the mag plate properly installed…Did the flywheel hang up before tuneup/coil change? If not, seems like you misassembled something that is creating the binding…

lindy46
              Participant

I’ve put magic marker on the coil laminates when having rubbing issues, to see just
                where the flywheel is rubbing. Perhaps you could do the same on lower insides of
                the flywheel, or where ever else it could possibly rub?

I did something similar with chalk. Couldn’t see any rubbing on the laminates. I did notice some scraping on the top of the coils so I filed that area down a little. It didn’t seem to help.

lindy46
                Participant

It is surely possible that the flywheel is damaged somehow causing it to bind…It even binds with no ignition components in place? Perhaps you don’t have the mag plate properly installed…Did the flywheel hang up before tuneup/coil change? If not, seems like you misassembled something that is creating the binding…

It doesn’t bind with no components installed but it does rub a little as evidenced by slight movement of the plate when I spin the flywheel. I didn’t notice any binding before I pulled the flywheel but I never really had it running as I had no spark on the top cylinder. That is why I decided to replace everything under the flywheel. I’ve had the mag plate on and off multiple times and even changed it out with another one I had on hand. I’ve had many a mag plate off in my years of working on old outboards so I’m no stranger to doing the job. The plate moves freely as it should before dropping the flywheel on. Just never had this particular problem before.

Mumbles
                  Participant

Take a close look at the flywheel and make sure there are no washers or bits of anything stuck to the magnet. It must be clean.

joecb
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Any chance that the fly wheel hub is cracked allowing the FW to set too low?

Joe B

billw
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Do you have another flywheel? That would be the best test. If not, check the taper to see if it was over-torqued. Turn it and see if it’s warped. Then, there is what I just went through: I had the same problem on a ’55 15. As it turned out, the upper part of the crank and the upper bearing were badly worn, which allowed enough lateral movement to let the flywheel hit stuff. I never really saw that happen before. The crank itself was .002″ worn and the bearing was worse. With the nut snug on the flywheel, try rocking the whole flywheel side to side and see how much play there is, in the upper bearing.

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.