Home Forum Ask A Member 1959 merc water pump

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    wrenchero
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello, my friend is bringing his 15 to replace the water pump. I heard it might be a difficult job. Do i need special tools?

mn

dave-bernard
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

which one got a pic?

wrenchero
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wont be able to get a pic til tomorrow. Its white and i think the shift is built in to the tiller if that helps

mn

dave-bernard
          Participant

Mark 15A 1959 auto tranny. look up serial ## after certain ## it is easier . if you have not done one good luck. go to johnsoldmerc .com .

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I think the serial break for the way the pump was installed was only on the Mark 28s. I believe the 15A always had the pump facing up. Even when the pumps face down and you can change the impeller without pulling the whole pump cartridge, it is still a good idea to pull the whole thing. If an original blade has ever broken off, it will be lodged in such a way that you won’t see it until you pull the whole thing out. I have plus or minus about 30 of this type of engine and have done a good number of pump jobs on them. I have all the special tools. I can tell you that my very best time on a thorough pump change was nine hours of work. This is is going to bring new meaning to the expression, “A friend in need is a friend indeed.” You’ll need the factory service manual, the parts diagram and a boat load of patience. Take pictures, make diagrams and inspect that all the small but important parts are there. If somebody has been in there before you, I can guarantee that they screwed something up. Also, when the transmission is out, inspect it closely for cracks.

Long live American manufacturing!

labrador-guy
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

mn, Couple tips from a shade tree mechanic. 1 drain the grease from the lower unit. 2 lay the motor down on it’s back and take the cover off the front of the lower unit. The cover has the vent plug in it for the lower unit. Under that cover you will find the shift pawls and some springs and pins. TAKE some Pictures! If you don’t do this the pins and other stuff falls out on the floor and you will have a bitch of a time figuring out how to get them back in correctly! (Don’t ask me how I know this.) 3 Pull the power head. Some guys say ya don’t need to do that but you will need all the help you can get, pulling the PH will help. 4 Next put the motor back in your stand UPSIDE down. Tighten the transom clamps good. It will help you when you are working inside the exhaust housing. The impeller is high in the gear case, you will need some fancy tools to get a spanner nut and the impeller cup out. Be patient, it can be done.

dale

get’em wet don’t let’em set!

labrador-guy
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

mn, I found a couple pictures. My motor is a 1957 mark10. I am pretty sure it is similar to your ’59. If not somebody will correct me for sure!

dale

103_1540

103_1541

IMG_0403

billw
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s the way to do it, Labrador Guy!!

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by billw.
                    fifty20ne
                    Participant

wrenchero
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

we found a youtube video on a mark 10 which i think is similar. he didnt bring the mark 15a , he brought his 200 which we cleaned the points and carburetor and it runs great.we’ll tackle the water pump another day.i’ll check back in.thank you all for your replies.

mn

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.