Home Forum Ask A Member 1961 Johnson 40 HP Flywheel Question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    marksoldcresty
    Participant

Background to my question. I am resurrecting a 1961 Johnson 40 HP big twin that was given to me in parts. Nothing it seems is original on it. I’ve used bits and pieces from other projects and started putting it back together with the intention of installing it on a recently acquired 1959 Duracraft runabout. The outboard was originally a pull start model. One of the first mods I did was installed a starter and ring gear/flywheel assembly. I came a cross a generator and bracket and I thought I’d swap the flywheel. Stupidly without doing my homework I bought a 1964 flywheel (P/N 580412) thinking it would fit, NOT! After looking at marine engine dot com’s parts lists, I am trying to understand if 580335 P/N will fit on the crank the same as the non-generator flywheel P/N 580334. I measured the following on the 580334 flywheel, Top inside taper, .70 Bottom inside taper .92 Bottom outside taper 1.24, width of bottom tapered cylinder .15. The question is a two parter, “Will the 580335 flywheel work for my outboard and does anyone have one they want to sell?”

Mark
      Merritt Island, FL

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.