Home Forum Ask A Member 1961 Johnson JW-17. New engine..again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    thepetrolist
    Participant

Well.. I’ve stumbled upon another one. This time it is a Johnson Seahorse JW-17, 3 hp.
      I promised myself (and well, my girlfriend!) that I wouldn’t buy another one in a while, since I’ve already got quite a few engines. But.. Sometimes you get those rare, but loved, unassuming phonecalls. This time it started something like this:

Rriinngg-rriingg
      -Hello?

– "Yeah, hi there, you like those old outboards, don’t you?"

– Yeah, a little.. (Me trying to hide my enthusiasm!)

-" well, I’ve got this old, probably 60’s, Johnson 3 hp that you can have if you like"

– Okay, nice. What’s the asking pri.. (Caller interrupts me mid-sentence)

-"never mind, just come get it!"

And the best part was that the caller lived a mile from my house! I immediately jumped in my car and went to get it.
      The caller told me he hadn’t run it for the last five years, and couldn’t promise that it worked. Well, that is really no problem since my passion is tinkering with these engines!

When I got it back home, I proceeded to check for spark, compression, all that usual, and found that all was well. I gave it some fresh gas and some starting gas and it fired on the third pull and ran perfectly!
      It is complete except for the bottom shroud (the lower part of the ‘egg’), but that’s no big deal considering the price was 0€.

Here are some pics of it.
      By the way, I have no idea why it has stains of green paint on it. Oh, if these engines could talk!

And here it is with its older sister

david-bartlett
      Participant

Be careful, those things will multiply quickly.

crosbyman
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I started it with a free 10 hp QD , then got a 4hp, a 3.9 Merc (sorry folks) then a 25$ FD (15 hp) onto a 7.5…to a 5.5.. a 50$jw and a 20$ JW
          and yesterday it happened again…hapiness …. a $50 1966 9.5hp (mdl 9622a) for 50$

I need a garage sale…. to store these motors πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

ho… forgot…. I run a 2005 75 ETEC on the only boat I have πŸ™‚

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

beerman57
          Participant

Watch ebay, those lower cowls show up pretty often, so wait for one that is fairly priced.

reivertom
            Participant

US Member

Wow…..I wish I got those type phone calls! I’m sitting here bummed out because I forgot to bid up on a local auction site and lost out on a nice ’56 Fastwin for 57 bucks. You got a lot of motor zero bucks!

crosbyman
              Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

just scan kijii and craiglist sites… motors come up regularly

what’s 100$…. 2$/week for your hobby !!

Joining AOMCI has priviledges πŸ™‚

thepetrolist
                Participant
                  quote crosbyman:

I started it with a free 10 hp QD , then got a 4hp, a 3.9 Merc (sorry folks) then a 25$ FD (15 hp) onto a 7.5…to a 5.5.. a 50$jw and a 20$ JW
                  and yesterday it happened again…hapiness …. a $50 1966 9.5hp (mdl 9622a) for 50$

I need a garage sale…. to store these motors πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

ho… forgot…. I run a 2005 75 ETEC on the only boat I have πŸ™‚

Haha! Know the feeling. I got my first boat engine, the ’25 wickstrΓΆm (50$) last october.. Since then, I’ve acquired:

1951 Johnson Seahorse HD-26 2.5hp 30 $
                  1960 British Seagull Century 4 hp, 40$
                  1961 Johnson Seahorse JW-17 Free!
                  1963 Evinrude Sportwin 10 hp 20 $
                  1966 Evinrude Yachtwin 3 hp 10$
                  1967 British Seagull Century Plus 70$, but got a 1963 Homelite XL-12 on the deal for free
                  1967 Chrysler 9.2 hp 40$

Feels like I’ve been quite lucky with getting cheap ones πŸ˜€

1946zephyr
                  Participant

Yea, I thinned my herd last summer considerably, then ended up with a 1956 RD-18 and a 1955 Big Twin LOL
                    It’s kind of hard to say no. I’ve always favored the old "clamshell style" big twins, so now I have four of them πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

thepetrolist
                    Participant

Haha! And I have astrong feeling that my collection is nowhere near finished.. I’ve still got to go check out two more Johnson JW’s, a 1962 mcculloch, a claimed to be 1956 seagull, a 1965 seagull, a 1974 mercury 20 hp with ~ 20 used hours since new πŸ˜†

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.