Home Forum Ask A Member 1962 Sea King 5hp Owners Manual

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Any chance someone has an Owner’s Manual for a 1962 Sea King 5hp?
      Thanks,
      Nick

MonkeyButt
      Participant

Hi Nick,
        Check out my manual library. Sea King was made by Gale so check there. Thanks Kenny

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4q6rha69ty5578r/AABTzGUvhKh0v27slLdF88VTa?dl=0

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

drifter
        Participant

Thank you very much for your help.
          This particular outboard is a bit of a puzzle to me. I have refurbished dozens and dozens of the OMC mid 50’s outboards so I was casual when approaching this 62 Sea King. (It matches my 62 Sea King boat.)
          What is puzzling to me is the fact that you cannot remove the plugs with the powerhead installed. One cannot even remove the plug boots, let alone remove the plugs. Additionally, the high speed and low speed control mechanisms (that attach to the actual needles) cannot be removed unless the power head is tilted prior to lifting it up.
          Maybe that I am missing something but those plug boot will not clear the lower cowl.
          Thanks again for your help.
          Nick

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

There is something unsaid there. I’ve serviced dozens of those motors and never had any trouble getting the plugs out. Also, the carburetor can be removed without unbolting the powerhead.

drifter
            Participant

Frank, I would be the first to agree with you had I not scratched my head for an hour in puzzlement.
              The powerhead sits so far down into the lower pan that you simply cannot even pull a boot off. Pulling the carb would be impossible. Can’t even remove the carb control mechanisms.
              It’s possible these boots are not stock but they sure look stock. This motor is very low hours. Does have the black coils (cloth wires on the coils). I just don’t think it’s been apart.
              I have pulled it apart as of this writing but when I reassemble maybe the light bulb will light.

frankr
              Participant

Hm.m.m.m, I suppose it is possible that somebody has replaced the original “Sparky” boots with the newer, longer OMC boots. I can’t say what that might result in.

The 1962, still has the intake silencer, right? (It was eliminated for 1963). But it can be removed or gotten out of the way to get the carb off. Sorry, too many years have passed since I’ve done one to remember the exact details. But I sure would remember if powerhead removal was required. Been there, done that too many times.

drifter
                Participant

OK, having convinced myself that I must have had too many IPA’s, I mocked the power head and lower pan and exhaust housing back up.
                  Prior to mounting the power head, I installed the J4C plugs and boots (no spring clips in the boots so the boots are actually inserted onto the plugs a bit more.
                  There is no way those boots and plugs are coming out without the power head removed. Maybe 1./4″ to 5/16″ clearance between the boot and lower pan.
                  Yes this has the air silencer. Again, no way it’s coming off because the center mounting screw is 2 1/2″ below the upper edge of the lower pan and that screw is below the carburetor. Really buried.
                  One more thing that’s a tiny bit puzzling is the model number. It’s GG18732A. The last number (2) is not in any of the lists I’ve seen. Numbers are all around it but not the number 2.
                  S/N is 26X841981 so it’s a 1962 for sure.

frankr
                  Participant

Lacking any better theory, is it possible that Champion changed the plug length? I just measured a couple of old J-4-J nd J-6-J plugs and they are 2-1/4″ from gasket to end.

Those funky non-existent model numbers have come up before. My worthless theory is that Gale ran out of motors and had to import some from Canada.

Buccaneer
                    Participant

Could you remove the plug with an open end wrench, while the boot is still attached?

Prepare to be boarded!

drifter
                      Participant

No. The thread length alone would prohibit removal. Add to that the thickness of the boot and it would be impossible.
                        I know it sounds screwy but those plugs are not coming out without first removing the power head.
                        I suppose one might use a “short” plug. But the heat range would, no doubt, be way off. Even then, you could not get a wrench on a short plug due to the recess on the SK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.