Home Forum Ask A Member 1963 Mercury 650 4cyl timing tool questions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MPrimeaux
    Participant

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 1957 Fleetform Runabout and a 1963 Merc 650 4cyl. to power it. I am in the process of restoring the Merc and have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone here could help me with. So far I’ve purchased carb, fuel pump, and water pump rebuild kits. I’ve purchased a new breaker points set as well as a new mag condenser, DE/NDE mag bearings, and timing belt. I have yet to source the correct starter and choke solenoids. I figure that if I can’t find the OEM replacements, I can modify/fabricate some brackets to mount a later model that will work (If someone has already done this and could provide some part numbers, it would be greatly appreciated!!) I guess my biggest concern is timing tools. As I’m replacing the bearings and points from mag, I am wondering if I NEED the 4cyl dwell plate to set the points or will the .008 spacing be close enough? Second, the .235″ timing gauge to set the timing. I can’t find this tool and was wondering if anyone could give some advice on some sort of dowel or DIY tool/method to get the .235″ BTDC to set the timing…. or if I will even need to do this. I appreciate any advice that can be provided. Thanks

gdcarpenter
      Participant

I use a dial gauge with the plunger sitting on top of #1 piston. Establish TDC and rotate backwards to .235”.

MPrimeaux
        Participant

Thanks Carpenter for the reply. I think I can make that happen. I’ve also seen some made from breaking the insulator off of an old spark plug and tacking a nut to it. I think one of these methods will work.

wbeaton
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

If you read the manual you will see there are timing marks on the too plate of the timing belt cover and flywheel. Once you find TDC you can just line up the marks. The tool you are after was made by Mercotronic. It is nothing more than a dial indicator that threads into a spark plug hole. It’s a great tool especially if you want to advance the timing a bit.

Wayne
            Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

MPrimeaux
            Participant

If you read the manual you will see there are timing marks on the too plate of the timing belt cover and flywheel. Once you find TDC you can just line up the marks. The tool you are after was made by Mercotronic. It is nothing more than a dial indicator that threads into a spark plug hole. It’s a great tool especially if you want to advance the timing a bit.

Thanks for the help. I THINK I see a mark on the flywheel… it’s not in the best of shape. I’m hoping it will be more clear when I get it pulled and cleaned up. Haven’t pulled the mag pulley yet either. I will go over the manual again, but I was under the impression that this tool was recommended for setting the timing advance stops. Another question I have….. Surely the flywheel is keyed… Is it not?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.