Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 28HP Evinrude Clutch Dog 305105

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bob-d
    Participant

US Member

Rebuilding my gear box, and noticed when I received my new clutch dog that it did not match the original. Checked Marineengine.com and did not list any superseded part numbers. I like the beefier design of the new one, but do not want to have a problem when the case is finished and all sealed up. Can anyone shed any light on this update, or is this maybe a wrong part?
      Thanks,
      Bob D

IMG_3881

David Bartlett
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Bob,

It has been a few years, but I had the same issue. Newer, heavier one fit just fine.

David Bartlett
        Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

bob-d
        Participant

US Member

Thanks Dave, that’s what I thought.
          Just surprised there was never a part succession number?

Bob D

joecb
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Probably either would be good. I have never seen one with the “ears” broken off, normal failure mode is wear to the engagement surface that allows the “ears” to cam out of engagement.

Joe B

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Well, this reminds me of a mistake I made with one of these gearcases.  First, be so careful that the part you received is not “mismarked”.  Sellers oftentimes mark out the original part number on the box, and make the assumption it is OK to just mark the superceded part number on the box.  In this case, I don’t think the part number of the clutch dog has changed/superceded, but there is surely a chance that the clutch dog was mismarked in error.

Years ago, I was trying to help out a friend with his 40hp gearcase.  I thought it would be a great idea to “update” the clutch dog and prop shaft to the spring/ball type used on later models.  Needless to say, none of the part numbers for his engine superceded to the later model part numbers.   I got the gearcase all together, sealed up, pressure tested before trying to shift the gears.  Could not get it out of neutral into either forward or reverse.  What the heck  could be wrong….  Pulled it all apart only to see that the diameter of the “updated” clutch dog lugs was greater than the original clutch dog, so it wouldn’t fit into the forward/reverse gear cavities.  I ended up having to locate newer style gears as well in order to make my “great idea” work.

In your case, it doesn’t “look like” that change would affect anything, but who knows.  My advice is don’t make the mistake I did….  Assemble the gearcase “dry” with no oring/sealer to ensure that clutch dog will work properly before going through all the work of getting the gearcase sealed up properly.  Only to have to rip it apart again.

bob-d
              Participant

US Member

Don, great idea (as usual). Will throw it together without any sealer minus the o ring, and check out how it shifts.
                Will report back.
                Thanks,
                Bob D

bob-d
                Participant

US Member

Don, reporting back.
                  Did a quick “dry” mock up with everything installed . It shifted fine, so I guess the old adage that bigger is better, is correct….at least in this case.
                  Thanks,
                  Bob D

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Cool!  Just didn’t want you to make the same type of mistake I did!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.