Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 Evinrude 40 hp Needle Valve Loose

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    MARC BOUCHER
    Participant

US Member

HI All,
      I have a wonderful 1964 Evinrude 40 hp that right now my only problem is that the slow speed needle valve doesn’t stay in position. I know it is supposed to be basically a turn and a quarter (depending on the situation) from all in. But it doesn’t stay there… After a short time out on the water I keep checking it to make sure it doesn’t work its way all the way out. I can’t figure out what would help to keep the needle tension tight. There are two plastic washers and two carboardy type washers, but I assume those just stop the fuel from coming up the needle. Do I just need to replace the whole needle? I just did this two years ago when the whole thing actually DID fall out when I was running but the new needle seems to have the same problem. I’m hoping there is another adjustment I am just missing….
      Thanks for any help you can give me!
      All the best,
      Marc

Boats: '47 Dunphy, '64 Starcraft
      Motors:
      '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Do you have the packing nut? Starting from the inside you should have a plastic washer, the two fiber packings, the other plastic nut, then the packing nut. Tighten the nut enough to provide enough friction on the needle.

MARC BOUCHER
        Participant

US Member

Hello Frank – are you referring to part # 36 in the attached image? Or is there a different nut that you are referring to? I have tightened that nut, but I’ll look at it when I get home from work and make sure it is tight… Something is telling me (off the top of my head) that it is sitting on the outside of the plastic panel – and that I didn’t want to break the plastic panel, but that doesn’t seem to make any sense….

That will be the first thing I check when I pull in my driveway in three hours…

Thanks for the feedback!

-Marc

carbimage

Motors:
          '53 Evinrude 25; '54 Evinrude 7.5; '55 Evinrude 7.5; '56 Evinrude 30 Lark; '56 Evinrude 16; '58 Johnson 18; '60 Evinrude 10; '64 Evinrude 40

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Mumbles.
          frankr
          Participant

US Member

That is the one. I don’t remember, you may have to remove the panel, install the nut, then replace the panel. It’s been a long time.

MARC BOUCHER
            Participant

US Member

You are so right!!!!! I thought I had tightened that one before, and that it went right up to the panel, but it actually can go through the panel. So, thanks to you, I now have tightened it enough so that the pin is nice and snug. I can’t thank you enough!!!!!

Motors:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.