Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 Johnson 40HP

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bobw
    Participant

US Member

I’ve got a lead on a Johnson model RD-26 and am wanting to get any input on this particular model, good or bad. Also wondering if there are any particular replacement parts that are hard to find and/or expensive. I haven’t laid eyes on the motor yet (just pictures so far) and need to know if there is anything special to look for other than the usual compression check, spark check, gear oil check, etc. Also need to find out an approximate weight on this thing.

Any input is appreciated.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
      1954 Johnson CD-11
      1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
      1958 Johnson QD-19
      1958 Johnson FD-12
      1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
      "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by bobw.
      crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

137 lbs …. or 150.5 electric

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
        Participant

US Member

The ’64 RD is just your basic manual start, manual shift 40hp motor. Nothing scary about it.

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That would be a Super Quiet. The motor mounts went out on them quite a lot. When they did, it took out a rubber exhaust seal, which would allow exhaust into the engine cover, making them run poorly or even stall out. That seal is NLA. Around here, a lowly TD has more value than a 60s Super Quiet. You literally couldn’t pay me to take one. Just my opinion.

Long live American manufacturing!

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

I’ve found the 1960s 40 HPs to be good motors. The exception was the first year – the 1960. When they were new out of the box, they were known for bolts vibrating loose on the electric start motor mount bracket and it’s counterpart on the other side of the engine, and then these cast aluminum brackets cracked. I saw this first hand on 3 new ones friends had on my lake. When Dad bought his 1960 new back then, the dealer replaced the star lock washers with split-ring lock washers on these brackets before they let it out the door and it was OK. The next year the problem appeared to have been fixed by the manufacturer (according to the same dealer). We ran over 200 gallons of gas each summer through that, mostly pulling skiers wide open, and it was running good when Dad traded it five years later for a bigger one. The 1964 you asked about was different in that it was 50 to 1 gas/oil and the 1960 was 25 to 1.
              Dave

bill-mcnamara
              Participant

Canada Member

Can’t seem to find where to renew my membership on the web site.
                Can anyone point me in the right direction.
                Very difficult to see this font.
                Bill.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.