1964 Johnson impeller

Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 Johnson impeller

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• ellie-123

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 19
    Topics: 13

Does anyone know what I have to do to replace impeller in my 1964 ,9 1/2 H.P. Johnson?

retiredoz

Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

Not all that exotic : Shift into forward, remove the four screws holding the gear case to the exhaust housing, drop it enough to expose the shift connector, and remove the lower screw. Now you can separate the lower unit, remove the water pump housing and remove and replace the impeller.

Do inspect the ss wear plate for grooves or serious wear, and hope the old impeller is still intact. If there are pieces missing, it may be a whole other ball game..

lindy46

Replies: 496
    Topics: 41

With motor in forward, remove the 4 bolts holding the gearcase on. Shift into reverse. Gearcase will drop down slightly. Through the opening, you’ll see a 3/8" bolt which holds the lower shift rod into a coupler. While supporting the gearcase, remove that bolt. The gearcase will then drop down. The impeller is in the water pump housing on top of the gearcase. Remove the bolts holding it on and slide it up off the top of the driveshaft. Remove the old impeller and install the new impeller into the water pump housing. Slide the assembly back on the driveshaft and make sure the little pin in the driveshaft slips into the groove in the impeller. Bolt the housing back on, and reinstall the gearcase to the leg. Make sure the water tube fits into the grommet on the water pump housing. At the same time, make sure the lower shift rod slides into the coupler with the recess in the top of the shift rod aligned with the bolt hole in the coupler. Then reinsert and tighten the coupler bolt. Shift into neutral or forward and reinstall the bolts holding the gearcase to the leg.

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72
    quote ellie@123:

Does anyone know what I have to do to replace impeller in my 1964 ,9 1/2 H.P. Johnson?

Are you the You Tube member from Norway??? If so, please PM me your email address, so I can send you a digital service manual for your motor.

Sincerely,

Cajuncook1

ellie-123

Replies: 19
    Topics: 13

I live in Lyons Falls, New York 13368, thank you for your help. It is greatly appreciated I will try to do it this morning..it calls for an 18-3003 impeller from sierra..my e-mail is dhardy3@twcny.rr.com

cajuncook1

Replies: 842
    Topics: 72

You will get an email link from we transfer.com

It is a free service to transfer large files. It is safe and free. Don’t worry if the manual is a 1972 Service manual. There were only a few changes over the 8years. At least 90% of the manual’s information applies. Good luck.

cajuncook1

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.