Home Forum Ask A Member 1964 MFG 16′ boat need advice

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    grunt311
    Participant

Thank you to everyone who posted posted the feedback is great. I went to look at the boat again last night and spoke to the owner. Hull looked good i di test out the transom by by lifting the motor and putting my weight on it, which was rock solid. I looked closely at the holes where the seats were and some look stripped out and the rubber grommet is missing. This concerned me as someone stated this gives access to water and can rot the stringers. Lastly but also a big deal i would assume the guy doesn’t have a title or registration for the boat. I live in Ohio which is where i am would be purchasing the boat. I did a little reading last night and it looks like a real job to obtain a title fro something like this. The guy stated he would write a bill of sale but i am not sure that will get me very far. If i understand it correctly the seller needs to obtain the registration and title and the sign it over to me to be legal.

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK then, well step one is to check with your DMV, or whatever government agency registers boats in Ohio, to see what is involved with getting an out of state boat/trailer registered with no paperwork…I don’t know what Ohio requires in terms of paperwork…

stanley
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In my experience your better off without a bill of sale when you talk to the DMV.Your better off telling them the boat was abandoned on your property.Also I think Ohio requires Outboard engines to be titled as well.

billy-j
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I live South East of Cleveland. That boat has nice lines also the turquoise gel coat and hull looks real good in the pictures very cool.Looks like it could be a good lake Erie boat you say you assume the owner does not have a title for boat and trailer. Why don’t you ask him if he has it? If he does your good to go. If not find out why he does not have it. If he had it in the past ten years he can go to title bureau and take his OH numbers on the hull in your case ( OH 1073 EC ) and the hull serial number to title bureau and probably get a duplicate title . Look at the last registration sticker on the boat it will have the date when it expired if not to many years ago you can look it up this way. If no luck third choice if it was many many years years ago you can take the OH numbers and serial number to division of watercraft at east 55th in Cleveland. They will run the numbers and do a title search also take the engine serial number and they can see if it was ever titled. If division of watercraft comes up with no title work they have a procedure that they will inspect the boat and equipment and issue you a new registration number. As far as the wood that boat probably has some in the transom which might still be good. The floor is just probably 3/4” marine plywood you can buy at any good lumber yard and this kind of boat probably was built without wood stringers probably all fiberglass on bottom of hull. The boat is 53 years old you know it’s going to need some work but hull looks real good in pictures. Trailer looks good in pictures probably worth $150 to $200 ,boat probably $200 if titled if not offer less. tell him motor blows nobody likes electric shift and parts are hard to find. Ask about the seats if he has them you can get them recovered or watch craigslist boats somebody is always stripping boats very common seat setup. This boat will perform well with a 25 horse and up engine so you have lot’s of options it’s a lot nicer than any aluminum boat this size. Let me know how it works out. Regards Bill,

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

In Minnesota, there is a distinction between a boat being "Titled" or just "Registered". Back in the 1950’s, 60’s 70’s etc, there were no Titles on boats – just Registrations and if it doesn’t come up "Titled" on the DMV computer, or does not come up at all due to no license for at least ten years, then with a bill of sale, they issue a new Registration; so it’s pretty easy here for transferring an old boat. I’ve also bought two boats in WIsconsin and the Bill of sale is all Minnesota cared about. Motors are not titled or registered in Minn or Wisc. Now the trailer, since it goes on the highway, can be a problem in Minnesota with no title – again if it was Titled and not just Registered as it shows up on DMV computer – if it shows up at all. If just Registered, the Bill of sale works. If Titled, the seller can file an affidavit of lost title and get another issued if it has a Minnesota license and the computer says it was Titled. Wisconsin doesn’t track or license the trailers, so I had no paperwork, but a bill of sale gets a Wisconsin trailer taken care of in Minnesota. One boat and trailer I bought at a Minnesota garage sale, where a relative from Wisconsin had brought it to the sale to sell. The bill of sale was on a napkin and the trailer wasn’t mentioned. The DMV person said I had to hunt down this person in Wisconsin for a Bill of Sale, but while I was talking, and explaining there was no model or serial number left on it, and I wasn’t sure I could find the sale house again in a neighborhood I was not familiar with; an older "seasoned" DMV employee came over with a form to fill out declaring I had made the trailer myself (I told her it was not homemade, but she said I could declare it homemade anyway) and I walked out of the office with the "homemade" trailer in my name.
              I’ve learned a lot here about how to get things done the easy way.
              Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.