Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 Evinrude 3 HP hose routing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve D
    Participant

The instructions for hose routing from the kit (1st diagram) shows the “In” line being tapped in to by the tank line and then on to the fuel pump. If I only wanted to use the built-in tank it still ends up going through the fuel pump.

If I do it the way the instructions say, and then I just choose to use the built-in tank, (or there is a problem with the pump or remote tank issues), I’m guessing that gravity/vacuum still allows enough fuel to get past the pump to the carb, right?

I was wondering if the setup in diagram 2 might also work instead? Would that be accomplishing the same thing? That would just bypass the fuel pump if I wanted to use the built-in tank. Are there other things to consider? Has anybody ever tried it this way?

Any advice, tips, observations, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks.

3hp-Fuel-Pump-Kit-381475-pg1

3hp-Fuel-Pump-diagram2

h20lew
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve been looking at doing this mod as well to my 67 Johnson 3 HP and I like your idea because it seems much easier to cut a tee into the hose with barb connectors than to get threaded connectors as the standard OMC diagram shows. If you didn’t have the optional fuel pump, it would just work by gravity – unless I’m missing something, I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. I’ve attached jpegs showing the full OMC instructions.

pg-1

3hp-Fuel-Pump-Kit-pg-2-scaled-1

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by h20lew. Reason: the 2nd file did not upload
        • This reply was modified 4 years ago by h20lew.
        dave-bernard
        Participant

?? would there be a problem with the pump pumping no fuel when in gravity feed position ?

frankr
          Participant

Steve, I see nothing wrong with your mod—–Except, those pumps rarely fail except for a ruptured diaphragm which dumps fuel into the crankcase. That is going to happen with either tee location. I wouldn’t worry about the pump that much.

Steve D
            Participant

Ok thanks guys. This is going to be used as a backup motor. There will be times when my main motor will be older, using the dual hose tank, so if I’m forced to use this it will be off the built-in tank. In the rare event the fuel pump does fail, I’ll be counting on gravity to get me home.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.