Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 McCulloch 7.5 hp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ClarenceSiman
    Participant

Hello,

I was directed here by some people on the LoneStar boat Facebook page. I was hoping that someone here could direct me to a mechanic who could work on my 65 McCulloch 7.5 outboard motor. It has been hanging in my shed it’s whole life, hasn’t run since 1981, but has great compression in both cylinders. I’m confident it doesn’t have more than 25 hours on it.

I live in St. Louis, Mo. and any help would be appreciated. I’m trying to get my Grandpa’s ’57 LoneStar Commander back in the water.

Thank You,

Clarence Siman

need2fish
      Participant

Hi Clarence — working on old outboards doesn’t require any specific skills to start with — you can learn as you go along. Heck – even I can get an old motor running.

All you need is some patience, some ordinary tools (and if your neighbor has some tools, so much the better).

Nothing to be apprehensive about — Consider bringing your Grandpa’s motor back to life an homage — something you’re doing for him. I was just 14 when I discovered my  Grandfather’s ’34 Johnson just needed some cleaning up to run like a champ. My time in the back shed with it created a connection with the man I never met.

We’re your safety net. There’s a tremendous amount of knowledge and helpful people on this board, so why not give it a try ?

Ken

retiredoz
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

You might check out the Facebook page on McCulloch motors, it’s got quite a following.   The 7.5 is kind of an oddball, not the easiest to work on.

smetscotts
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thanks for reaching out to AOMCI.

Let me know more of what you may be looking forward in terms of resources for your 7.5 McCulloch. Between some service manuals and a number of used parts, I’ll help if I can.

Todd Smet

Madison WI

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.