Home Forum Ask A Member 1965 Sea King 6hp

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    OMCJoe
    Participant

I recently got what I believe is a 1965 sea king 6hp for cheap. The model number is VWB19073A. I don’t know a whole lot about these motors….. It looks like this one may have lived a hard life so not sure how to proceed with it.

This issues I know of so far are:

#1. The head gasket is blown but the cylinder walls look decent.
      #2. The re-coil starter assembly is missing
      #3. The motor over all is quite dirty (black soot / oil residue in the cowl).
      #4. It does seem to have spark and the rest of the motor appears to be intact
      #5. The lower unit will definitely need to be resealed.
      #6. Haven’t checked the impeller yet, but assuming I will need to replace it.

So my questions are:
      #1. I don’t really know anything about these motors? What’s the history on these? Are they rare, collectable, anything special about them?
      #2. Do you think this motor is worth trying to get running? I assume that finding a starter assembly is quite difficult / $$$. If I can get a head gasket, I’d probably try cleaning points, cleaning carb & rope starting it first just to see if it is a good runner.
      #3. Looks like I will need a head gasket, starter assembly, lower unit seal kit, carb kit, maybe points, and probably an impeller. Are any of these parts still made/available? I have not been able to find anything with my normal online searching.

Thanks for the help!

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Made by Chrysler (formerly West Bend).. Not really too bad a motor. Laings Outboard Service is one source for parts. One of those starter pinions used to be made of unobtanium. Don’t know if that was one of them or not, or if anybody is reproducing them.

need2fish
        Participant

Check closely for fine cracks on the outside of the lower unit casing just aft of the rear propshaft carrier (ie the last 1/4″ of metal on the rear of the casing). I’ve got 4 specimens of that model, 3 of them have the rear carrier broken out of the casting. Chrysler later replaced that model of gearcase with a much more robust one.If you catch it in time, it can be welded on the outside.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.