Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 20 HP Johnson Outboard advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Evinrude 25
    Participant

Hello,
      I want to start the next project. There is a ad for 1966 20 HP Johnson Outboard (FD-20C model) for $100. It looks like affordable to buy it for a rebuild or restore project.
      I would like to know if it is a decent motor to work on it or 1960’s motor to avoid. Of course it does not run but the owner said it had compression!
      It is complete but missing the propeller. I still have a couple propeller from 1950’s that could fit in so it is not a big deal.

59-3

59-4

59-5

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Evinrude 25.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Among the best motors. Easy to work on, depending on condition. No famous “gotchas”. My only complaint is the hood rattles due to it’s shape. If that’s all I have to complain about, it should be ok.

Evinrude 25
        Participant

Have ask the seller the inside pictures, it looks like the recoil spring broken but it looks clean and decent shape. It is old OMC point ignition so it is straight forward to fix if it does not have spark.

59-6

59-7

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Mumbles.
          fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Like Frank says, these are great engines…. Simple OMC universal mag, idles real nicely, easy to work on…
            I would ask to take a compression test, I would also ask if it is OK to “crack open” the lower gear lube drain screw for a second to check the condition of the gear lube. No lube, or pure water spells trouble….I would negotiate the price down a bit if the gearcase is full of water….

reivertom
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If it has compression and the lower unit isn’t trashed, everything else is an easy fix. I’m looking for one from that era myself. Offer them 75 bucks after you point out the problems and maybe they will come down a little. I’ve found that sometimes the ugliest motors run great, and the prettiest sometimes are pretty because they had problems and nobody trusted them enough to use them much.I had a beautiful Scott-Atwater that would run great until you got it 5 miles from the boat ramp…..I never did figure out what was wrong because I was so disgusted with it, I gave it to somebody I didn’t like all that well. :^)

billw
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Also look at the upper, center rubber motor mount and the rear two rubber cover mounts. Sometimes they break and replacements are getting harder to find. You can do work-arounds for the cover mounts but not the top front one. But these things wouldn’t stop me from buying it, if the gear oil and compression are good! From the pictures, it looks like the entire recoil might be missing. I think I have one, if that’s the case. It is missing the high speed adjustment knob and prop nut, too. No big deal. Great motors when they’re all fixed up!

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.