Home Forum Ask A Member 1966 mercury 650?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    balbers
    Participant

Hi all…..newbie here…..there is a 1966 Merc 650 for sale locally…..claims to run good, recently tuned….wants $500…..unfortunately for me a short shaft….need a long shaft…..thinking of buying anyway and finding a boat to match…..thoughts on this motor?…anything in particular to be careful of or look for
      Thanks!
      Bob

crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

test compression MANDATORY before buying …

check for any mechanical flaws ( gears shifting ok ?)

check all wiring for crumbling wires…. apparently a frequent event on older Mercs

check gearcase oil for water contamination….but clean oil may also mean a recent refill

hopefully fire it it up

does it look loved and cared for or abused …..

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Crosbyman said it perfectly. All the things he mentioned are known to often be a problem on those motors. All I have to add is that it is actually pretty cool that it’s a short shaft, even though I understand that it won’t help you. Those are hard to come by, and people will want it, just for that. Don’t expect to get a zillion dollars for it; but they do have some demand, for older, smaller speed boats.

I might add that in salt water, those motors will pretty much disintegrate like Alka Seltzer.

Long live American manufacturing!

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by billw.
          76-j
          Participant

One more thing, from personal experience. The female splines on end of the crankshaft, which mate with the driveshaft , are known to wear / rust away.
            Buyer beware as you won’t know until you use the this outboard, or upon swapping lower units, observe the condition of spline(s).
            *I recently Trashed a complete powerhead minus it’s carburetors, and fuel pumps.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member

Since it was “recently tuned” – ask who tuned it and if it was a shop, ask to see the receipt.

Beware that the statements “Runs Good” or “Ran good last time out” are the biggest jokes in the hobby! If possible, ask to see it run – in a garbage can of water is OK, or with a garden hose and muff clamps on the water inlet.

Ask if the wiring harness for the boat is included.
              Dave

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by outbdnut2.
              westwind
              Participant

Canada Member

It is 50+ yrs old, don’t expect it to have no issues. Part of the fun is sorting out the issues. Overall, a Merc 650 is a good motor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.