Home Forum Ask A Member 1967 Merc 20hp fuel line

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jimk
    Participant

I just picked up what I believe to be a 1967 Mercury 200 , 20hp short shaft outboard that looks to have special fuel lines from the fuel line connection to the fuel pump and then from the fuel pump to the carb. I would like to replace the lines because of age but the factory ones are a bit pricey. Can I get buy just using regular type fuel line? The ones on it look like they would be high pressure lines and I cant imagine there being much pressure there? Thanks, Jim

labrador-guy
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Just my opinion and I will probably get some static for it but… I have two Mercury’s running on regular fuel lines and wire tie clamps and they work fine! Fuel pumps have have only crankcase pressure. Every OMC motor in the world has the same fuel lines that I use. Maybe if you are a purest and want to keep everything original. You might want to get some of those high priced jobies. JMHO

dale

David Bartlett
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

If you do want to make it look original, there is a guy on “Johnsoldmercurysite” that makes them up.

I agree with Dale, no need for over-engineered hoses.

David Bartlett
          Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

jimk
          Participant

For now I will just be happy to get it running. It was a $80 motor so I dont want to stick to much into it, I have spark and compression so now I will clean the carb and check the waterpump. Probably need a new one but to test run in a barrel hoping this one is still flexable enough for a short run. If it runs it will get a new one. My old Johnsons and Evinrudes parts can usually be found for a fair price, Mercury its not so easy but for the price of this one I thought I would take a chance on it. Supposedly it ran five years ago but has been sitting since then. Thanks for the information on the fuel lines. Maybe I will just flush them out for now and go from there. I have always replaced them on the older OMCs but this mercury with that hydrolic line style isn’t something I want to purchase.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.