Home Forum Ask A Member 1968 3 hp evinrude a little hot

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    billy-t
    Participant

Okay so I was running a little 3 hp over the weekend at the fish camp and noticed that it seemed to be running a little hot. Quite warm to the touch and even the flywheel was a little too warm in my opinion.

The motor has a fairly new impeller, couple seasons old. It was spraying water from the the pin hole tell tales quite well based on all the other three horse motors that i use.

I pulled the gear case and ran a small wire up the water tube which was not blocked.

I guess the next thing is to remove the cover from the exhaust plate and make sure the passages are not blocked somewhere.

Are there any other obvious things that I should be looking at to see if this can be remedied?

Fresh gas and the proper oil mix too slightly richer than 50:1. When I got home I ran an identical motor in the test tank and yep it ran cooler by far.

Thanks for any pointers that can be offered.

Billy T

Steve A W
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Did you inspect the impeller anyway?

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
        I live in Northwest Indiana

billy-t
        Participant

I will do that as well just to make sure that the impeller is okay.

Thanks

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Water tube bent and rubbing on the spinning drive shaft, wearing a hole in it that the water spills out of?

chinewalker
            Participant

US Member

Keep in mind that those motors do "seem" to run hot, as the heads have very tiny passages that the water can get through, and only the forward outer rim of the exhaust cover is cooled. As such, the area around the spark plugs and most of the exhaust cover will get very hot indeed. When you shut the motor down, particularly after a hard run, that heat will dissipate into the surrounding parts of the powerhead, making them feel warm, too. Not saying you shouldn’t check for blockages, particularly in the horizontal passage along the top of the block, but just wanted to remind you that there will be heat in there no matter what you do.

david-bartlett
              Participant

These motors do run warm, but if it were mine I would not run 50:1

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’m assuming you are running in fresh water, so salt build up is not an issue

auldscott
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I had that happen to my 1958 Lightwin. After some digging around I found a piece of leaf that had somehow gotten jammed into the intake screen. It was invisible until I took the LU off to check the pump.

johng
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Check for excessive wear on Plate under the Impeller. If there is a noticeable ridge on plate the motor won’t pump enough water up to the powerhead. Found this out the hardway a couple of times. You can repair the Plate with coarse sandpaper then finish with 320 grit. Plate should be flat.

billy-t
                      Participant

Thanks everyone, good helpful suggestions, will let every one know what I find this weekend when i have a minute to investigate further. I will check for blockages, holes in tube and wear on the plate.

Thanks again.

Billy T

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.