Home Forum Ask A Member 1968 Johnson 40hp overheating

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    lindy46
    Participant

US Member

Now I’m starting to wonder if the short return tube is correct for the RDS-30C. Parts diagram shows 314332 as the correct tube. This is 5″ longer than the inlet tube. When I dropped the lower unit it originally had the longer tube. I figured it wasn’t connected and was the wrong tube, but perhaps it was connected into the lower grommet. I replaced it with a short tube I had which fit into the upper grommet next to the outlet tube. Maybe not correct? There is a short tube running from the bottom of the housing cap to one of the lower grommets. Perhaps the long tube is correct and fits in the other lower grommet?

UPDATE – I reinstalled the original long return tube into the bottom grommet and she’s cooling fine now. So I created my own problem by putting that short tube in. Glad I figured it out.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by lindy46.
      fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm…So the grommets in the upper exhaust are at different levels then…Will have to look at the parts breakdown…Glad it is working fine now though, don’t argue with success!

lindy46
        Participant

US Member

Hmmm…So the grommets in the upper exhaust are at different levels then…Will have to look at the parts breakdown…Glad it is working fine now though, don’t argue with success!

Look at the first pic – you can see the lower grommet where the long return tube fits. They must have made a mid-year change in the design as there are two different impeller housing caps. One is plugged on the side of the upper return and one is not. The parts diagram is misleading. It is actually correct for the 30D motors with the short return tube.

fleetwin
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Look at the first pic – you can see the lower grommet where the long return tube fits. They must have made a mid-year change in the design as there are two different impeller housing caps. One is plugged on the side of the upper return and one is not. The parts diagram is misleading. It is actually correct for the 30D motors with the short return tube.

Still confused, those two grommets on top of the water tube look to be at the same height to me…. I know that the lower pick up pipe (from water pick up to impeller cap) was a change for that year….Oh well, this is something I guess I would have to see in person to understand…I did look at the parts breakdown again and see the two different end cap part numbers, but don’t understand why/how they are different…. I saw the two different part numbers for the upper water tubes, just figured where they plugged into the inner exhaust housing was different…How much longer is on tube than the other?

lindy46
            Participant

US Member

Still confused, those two grommets on top of the water tube look to be at the same height to me…. I know that the lower pick up pipe (from water pick up to impeller cap) was a change for that year….Oh well, this is something I guess I would have to see in person to understand…I did look at the parts breakdown again and see the two different end cap part numbers, but don’t understand why/how they are different…. I saw the two different part numbers for the upper water tubes, just figured where they plugged into the inner exhaust housing was different…How much longer is on tube than the other?

About 5″ longer. I thought the previous owner had tried to use a long shaft tube since the motor was born a long shaft. Someone had converted it to short shaft at some point. I guess a long shaft return tube would be an additional 5″ longer.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.