Home Forum Ask A Member 1970 85 hp V4

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

So I’m finally putting the ignition back together. I find the flywheel rocks a little on the crank taper even though all seems clean and nice. My normal reaction would be to lap the two together, but this motor is way beyond my previous level of experience so I thought I’d ask first. Lap, or not?

Thanks.

Alan

amuller
      Participant

I finally ran this motor today, on muffs in the driveway. As far as I can tell from that, all seems well. Pumps gas, pumps water, makes noise. Idles reasonably considering I haven’t touched the carbs, the linkages, or anything much but that ignition system.

Thats to several people for the handholding…..

am

joesnuffy
        Participant

Good work everybody. I have one of these also getting ready to work on it some time this summer this info will be very valuable.

Joe

amuller
          Participant

It will be a few days before I get it out on the water to see if it really performs…..

Any advice on tilting these things? I haven’t tried it, but seems like a bear to do from inside the boat. If I’m reading the catalogs correctly, they didn’t have power tilt/trim until around 1976.

seakaye12
            Participant

US Member

Not related at all….or at least not very much….but I thought I’d post this link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvoIHcMKA3Q

I LOVE big tiller motors! Imagine a 75HP Tiller….. 😀

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years
                quote amuller:

It will be a few days before I get it out on the water to see if it really performs…..

Any advice on tilting these things? I haven’t tried it, but seems like a bear to do from inside the boat. If I’m reading the catalogs correctly, they didn’t have power tilt/trim until around 1976.

Yes, an absolute bear to tilt for sure. You must overcome the resistance of the shock absorbers as well. OMC did make an electric tilt (no trim) for these engines, but don’t think you will find one that is still in decent condition. The transom bracket must be disassembled to install the hydraulic tilt cylinder as well…
                I think tempo or some other aftermarket makes a pretty nice tilt lever arm that locks into the shroud’s tilt handle, affordable and effective.
                Hope it runs OK. Be sure to drain and refill the gearcase after you water test, just to ensure no more water is getting into the gearcase…Might be a little milky because the new oil has mixed with any residual water/moisture that didn’t drain out…

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.