Home Forum Ask A Member 1971 Evinrude 50ESL71S Extension Parts Schematic

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I am working on this Evinrude Model 50ESL71s , I am looking for a drawing / parts breakdown, of just the extension area . I started this project some time ago and had to put it on a back burner for awhile.I want to be sure that I have all the bits together . The gear-case is together, [Long driveshaft installed ]and the longer water tube is installed in the power-head. I just want to make sure that I have not omitted a spacer ,grommet or something. All the pictures I am finding are of either the gear-case, or the exhaust leg, but not the 5″ extension and its parts. Thanks

frankr
      Participant

US Member

So you have a 5″ extension housing? I wasn’t aware that there is such a thing. Where did you find it? Normally, the whole exhaust housing has to be replaced. I must be missing something?

todd281
        Participant

Yup, I have a extension housing . I still had to open the gear-case and change out the driveshaft . Also replace the shorter water feed tube with the longer one. I will take a few pictures of what I have and post them here this morning.

todd281
          Participant

Ok here are the pictures . I am,questioning ,specifically ,the drive-shaft area. I with the longer driveshaft in place, and then the extension on, it leaves a area of the driveshaft exposed .It would be possible for the shift wires to come in contact with the rotating drive shaft in this area. [a couple if inches inside the extension] I could perhaps zip tie them, or I could turn out a guard to cover the driveshaft from the top of the water-pump housing to the bottom of the exhaust leg. but if Evinrude found no need for it, then I will be satisfied with the way it is.

frankr
            Participant

US Member

I guess we do learn something every day. With absolutely no knowledge of your parts, I think I’m safe in saying the drive shaft isolation tube must be continuous from bottom to top. This speculation from the many other OMC motors that have drive shaft isolation tubes.

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I am confident this is not an OMC accessory kit, might be one of those “Bay Pattern” extension kits…Like Frank says, the exhaust hsg (and many other parts) must be changed in order to make a 15″ engine a 20″ engine. You have certainly gone through a lot of work and expense to do this….But, yes, you will need an extension tube that seals the top of the impeller housing and the area where it seals against the inner exhaust hsg. Looks like the extension for the exhaust tube is built into the extension hsg, so you are all set there. Is there a large black rubber grommet seal between the extension housing and gearcase? There should be.
                Look for some sort of indentifying name on the extension housing, I suspect it is made by “Bay Pattern”. If so, contact them for the driveshaft extension tube and seal you need. Where did you get this “kit”?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

I suppose if push comes to shove, an extension tube could be fabricated to fit.

fleetwin
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

You could always email Bay Pattern to see if they ever made a kit for your engine….In any event, I’m betting the driveshaft tube extension from the 1981 50hp will probably fit…
                    http://www.baymfg.com/kits/johnsonevinrude/

todd281
                    Participant

I bought this 50ESL and a parts motor about three years ago. The “parts” motor had this long shaft extension on it . At the time I did not need a long shaft, but I did have to salvage some parts. While taking it apart, I ended up with the extension parts separate. They got “stored” Now I am In a position where I could use this in the long shaft version. Sooo, dig out the parts,, look it over. and notice that driveshaft issue. [ Hmmm, that don’t look right] So off I go ,in search of a picture .
                      Looks like I will just fab one up . Could someone enlighten me on the purpose of the grommet that sits between the impeller housing and the exhaust leg? Driveshaft passes through it. I ask ,so I know how to make my “extension tube” Do I need a watertight seal at the top of the impeller housing or not necessary?

frankr
                      Participant

US Member

Note that the exhaust travels down through an inner exhaust tube. The area between the inner and outer exhaust housings fills up with water that has gone through the powerhead.. The drive shaft enclosure isolates the shaft and splines from that water fill. It therefor needs to be water tight if it is to do it’s job. I think without the tube extension you might see water slopping out from under the powerhead.

There is more to the history of the parts than that, but that’s some of it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.